Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Siem Riep TO Poipet by bus or taxi?

Posted by gaberhodes on 18/4/2009 at 14:22

I know about the well-documented scam bus coming from BKK to Siem Riep. But what about the other direction? Is it worth paying the xtra money for 2 people in a taxi? Or has the recent experience going back to Bangkok on the scam buses improved? Any advice greatly appreciated.

#1 gaberhodes has been a member since 30/12/2008. Posts: 2

Posted by DLuek on 18/4/2009 at 19:54 TF writer

On my way to Siem Reap, I took a bus from Bangkok to Aranyaphrathet, crossed the border and took the Cambodian bus from Poi Pet to Siem Reap. The bus was lousy - it took way longer than they'd said it, the road is ridiculously bumpy and slow-going, and the bus stopped two or three times at restaurants, where the bus company obviously picked up a commission.

On the way back, I did the taxi and was glad I did. The taxi gets you there way faster, and way more comfortably. If you're not on a shoestring budget, I'd spring for the taxi. By the way, once you get over the border into Aranyaphrathet, you don't have to get sucked into the tourist shopping area on the Thailand side. Just take a taxi back into Aranyaphrathet to the bus station, where you can catch a bus that goes directly to BKK.

Good luck

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,176
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by siemreaprooms on 21/4/2009 at 17:19

Yes, the taxi is definitely better than the bus.

The taxi from Siem Reap to Poipet should be no more than 30$ for the whole car now as it is low season.

A new road is nearly completed on this route so it is no longer a bumpy ride. A taxi takes around 2 hours now.

#3 siemreaprooms has been a member since 21/4/2009. Posts: 5
 Website 

Posted by nathantraveler on 23/4/2009 at 22:58

Hi,

I did this trip recently, it took me 3 hours in a shared taxi, including a stop at Kralanh. I paid USD10. The road from Siem Reap to Sisophon is a graded dirt road, in reasonable condition and being improved. From Sisophon to Poipet the road is recently paved, in very good condition. In Poipet itself it´s dirt road. The taxi dropped me at the border, in front of the Cambodia immigration where I got an exit stamp. Then I walked to the Thai side, and after 1 hour I got my Thai stamp, got Baht sin an ATM and took a tuktuk (THB80) to the bus station.

#4 nathantraveler has been a member since 27/1/2009. Posts: 5

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.