Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

cambodian visa online?

Posted by halongbay07 on 20/6/2009 at 18:33

im going to be travelling to cambodia via thailand and have heard the stories about visa scams at the border, what is the easiest/safest way to get a cambodian visa and can this be done online?
thanks.

#1 halongbay07 has been a member since 4/3/2009. Posts: 29

Posted by BruceMoon on 21/6/2009 at 09:38

halongbay07

Most people get their visa at the border when entering. Yes, there is always the possibility of a wayward 'officer'. But, if you read the details at:

https://www.travelfish.org/board/post/visabordercrossings/172_visa-and-border-crossing-news---please-read-this-before-postting-

And are therefore properly informed about procedure, costs, etc, I doubt you'll have any problems.

Cheers

#2 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by sayadian on 21/6/2009 at 21:06

you don't say what border you're crossing. If it's Poipet generally if you hand over your $20 you'll have no problem.If you're going in via Koh Kong,good luck because you'll be at the mercy of the biggest scammer SOBs in SE Asia.They'll want and expect 1500 baht which you can get down to 1000baht if you keep on smiling and handing over your 1000baht note each time he pushes it back at you. But 1000baht = approx $30 which is quite a little sting when you add up the number of people going through the border each day.Go in via Pailin crossing and you'll be hassle free.I love Cambodia but between the ghastly ugly Poipet crossing and the bad taste a crossing at Koh Kong gives you the border does the country's tourist image no favours.
ps I've had e-visa twice with no problems

#3 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Posted by halongbay07 on 21/6/2009 at 21:25

thanks those are both great answers, im not sure which border crossing i will be using as yet, but we will probably be travelling to the border from bangkok, but im keen to avoid as much haste as possible as you can imagine!

our aim is to travel to siem reap from there, can you suggest the best means of transport from the border? im aware how bad the roads are! :(

#4 halongbay07 has been a member since 4/3/2009. Posts: 29

Posted by sacredchao on 25/6/2009 at 05:30

Actually, the road has been repaved and is supposed to be pretty decent now.
http://www.talesofasia.com/cambodia-overland.htm

That link also talks about transportation into Siem Reap from Poipet.

#5 sacredchao has been a member since 12/6/2009. Posts: 10

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.