Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

cambodia in december - tentative plan

Posted by pamjane on 25/6/2009 at 01:29

I'm planning a trip for my girlfriend and me through Thailand>Laos>Cambodia from November through early January. We won't have much time in Cambodia, so I think we'll have just a few stops there so that we can get to know each location a bit.

I'd be thankful for any input y'all have on the prospective journey:

Day 1: fly from Pakse to Siem Reap (I'd originally had the idea to go by land and visit Ban Lung--Yak Lom is a dream--but it seems almost impossible to head that way and do the rest in 10ish days)

Days 2-5: Siem Reap

Day 6: boat to Battambang

Days 6-7: Battambang

Day 8: bus to Phnom Penh

Days 8-10: Phnom Penh

Day 10 or 11: Phnom Penh to Koh Kong>Thailand

Does this seem too laid back? Any ideas for a magical dip in a crater lake that doesn't make for a hurried time in Cambodia?--even if I could somehow tack on 2-3 days?

#1 pamjane has been a member since 5/6/2009. Posts: 16

Posted by somtam2000 on 25/6/2009 at 08:40 admin

If you could tack on a couple more days, then you could fit in your crater swim. For example:
Day 1: Pakse - Stung Treng
Day 2: Stung Treng to Ban Lung
Day 3: Ban Lung (and crater swim)
Day 4: Ban Lung - Stung Treng - Phnom Penh (long day)
Day 5-6: Phnom Penh
Day 7: Phnom Penh - Siem Reap
Day 8-10: Siem Reap
Day 11: boat to Battambang
Day 12: Battambang
Day 13: Overland via Pailin to Chanthaburi and Thailand

Bear in mind PP to SR is only half day trip.

Tre crater lake is a bit of a time eating diversion - but hey, how often do you get to swim in a crater lake!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,577
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by pamjane on 25/6/2009 at 12:51

thanks, somtam! you make it seem pretty simple.

So, the new possible plan is:

Day 1: 4000 Islands - Stung Treng - Ban Lung (all in one day should be okay, yeah?)
Day 2: Ban Lung
Day 3: Ban Lung - Stung Treng - Phnom Penh
Day 4-5: Phnom Penh
Day 6: Phnom Penh - Siem Reap
Day 7-9: Siem Reap
Day 10: boat to Battambang
Day 11: Battambang
Day 12: Overland via Pailin to Trat

#3 pamjane has been a member since 5/6/2009. Posts: 16

Posted by BruceMoon on 26/6/2009 at 14:00

pamjane

Not enough time in Siem Reap. The Angkor pass is 1 day, 3 day, ...

I suggest you NEED 3 days to comprehend the temples (follow a well researched look-see method, ie. check out Lonely Planet).

I also suggest that as Angkor was dependant on Tonle Sap, you ought spend a day there to comprehend why.

3 days straight at the temples may knock you over, so do Tonle Sap in between.

Cheers

#4 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by pamjane on 26/6/2009 at 17:07

I was thinking we'd get to Siem Reap in time to go to Angkor, get our 3-day passes, and see the sunset (I heard it's a free sunset if you buy your 3-day pass in the evening?). Then we'd be back some times over the next 3 days, sleep in Siem Reap, and head on the next morning. We'll see Tonle Sap on the boat trip to Battambang. I'll make sure to keep the schedule around here a bit lenient in case we feel we need another day.

#5 pamjane has been a member since 5/6/2009. Posts: 16

Posted by BruceMoon on 26/6/2009 at 18:01

PamJane, the Tonle Sap I was referring to was the forshore area beyond the wharf.

The notion of sunset appears to please many, but at Angkor few actually get to enjoy them in the state they are supposedly meant to be enjoyed. One, the place is crawling with tourists, and two, there are many days when cloud/dust limit the enjoyment. No harm in trying.

Cheers

#6 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.