Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

bring laptop to cambodia???

Posted by jmdma808 on 25/6/2009 at 21:25

is it ok to bring my laptop with me to cambodia? i really need it for my trip. ill be backpacking through thailand, laos cambodia and making a quick stop in kuala lumpur so my pc is how i keep in touch with everybody. im staying at a guesthouse in laos for about $20 a night and probably will do the same in cambodia. just wondering if its safe to leave my pc in the room or if there is any other way i can secure it.

#1 jmdma808 has been a member since 16/6/2009. Posts: 14

Posted by DLuek on 26/6/2009 at 03:39 TF writer

Personally, I wouldn't bring my laptop to Cambodia. Also, I really wouldn't leave it in a guesthouse/hotel room anywhere in Cambodia, or Thailand, Vietnam or Laos for that matter, unless I really got the feeling that the place was secure. Even then, I'd be worried b/c the maids in those places make something like $50/month... When given the opportunity to take something worth more than a full year's salary from a tourist who they most likely deem to be filthy rich in comparison, could you really blame them?

That said, if the guesthouse has a safe you could leave it with the front desk. Again, just make sure the place is legit, and also make sure to get something in writing saying they will be responsible should anything happen to it. Virtually every hotel/guesthouse I've stayed at in SE Asia has some sort of sign saying they will not be responsible for anything left in a room, so I just wouldn't do it, at least not on a regular basis.

When I faced a similar predicament I left it somewhere I knew was secure in Bangkok. Cambodia's just so poor and has so much more theft and such extreme poverty than Thailand, plus so little police presence. I just didn't feel comfortable bringing my laptop with me.

I just finished a 5 month trip without my computer for the whole time and I had no trouble staying in touch with people daily through internet cafes and guesthouse computres. For me, laptop is too much of a worry.

But that's just me.

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,171
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by BruceMoon on 26/6/2009 at 13:56

jmdma808

Go read:

https://www.travelfish.org/board/post/vietnam/6389_laptops---do-many-people-take-them-

Cheers

#3 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.