Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Bangkok to Siem Reap overland - updated

Posted by somtam2000 on 5/8/2009 at 14:38 admin

Just a quick note that I've updated the Bangkok to Siem Reap overland story, to reflect the change in the road situation there. Story is here: https://www.travelfish.org/feature/71

Basically, the road from Poipet to Siem Reap is now totally sealed and the trip can take as little as one and a half hours by share taxi.

This also means it is far easier to do Siem Reap to Bangkok or Siem Reap to Ko Chang in a day.

Cheers

#1 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,707
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by BruceMoon on 5/8/2009 at 17:18

Somtam

I looked at the update - there is a prejudice that warrants alteration.

On the subject of flying BKK - Siem reap, you cite only Bangkok Airways. Rightly, you point out that Bangkok Airways is expensive. At US$170 (cheapest) you are correct.

I suggest that you should also make reference to an airline that does the trip for half the price.

Not only might travellers be interested, but the airline happens to be a sponsor of Travelfish.

AirAsia does the BKK/KL/SR route for US$90 (and you get a night at KL).

Cheers

#2 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by somtam2000 on 5/8/2009 at 17:48 admin

AirAsia don't fly it direct.

Also the KUL/REP flight leaves at the crack of dawn (well 7am) which means if you're planning on coming down from Bangkok for the connection you need to overnight in KL/sleep at the airport.

Bangkok Airways has long had the monopoly on the route -- the monopoly has often been suggested by some as the real reason why the road stayed in such a crappy state for so long -- in many people's opinion it is not a coincidence that the road has been completed in the same year that the monopoly will finish.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,707
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by SBE on 5/8/2009 at 19:54

The BKK- SR monopoly will be finished this year? Are there any hints which other airlines might be flying that route yet?

#4 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,037
 Send SBE a private message   Where has SBE been? 

Posted by BruceMoon on 6/8/2009 at 08:12

Somtam

AirAsia don't fly it direct.

When I wrote "AirAsia does the BKK/KL/SR route for US$90 (and you get a night at KL). I thought that was obvious.

I just felt that providing an alternative to an expensive fly would not only reinforce your point of expensiveness, but signal to readers that AirAsia provides alternatives that MAY be worthwhile considering.

Cheers

#5 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by scotters on 7/8/2009 at 04:08

Another alternative to road transportation from Bangkok is to fly Air Asia to Phnom Penh in the afternoon and then catch a flight to Siem reap in the same afternoon. Cost will be around $95 by using the new Cambodia airline, Cambodia Angkor Air http://www.cambodiaangkorair.com/

#6 scotters has been a member since 7/8/2009. Posts: 1

Posted by 4tindoors on 30/8/2009 at 11:53

It looks like Angkor Air stops making trips to Siem Reap, when I need it too. (in Nov.) I don't much like the idea of staying at the airport in Malaysia, and refuse to spend the amount that Bangkok Airways is charging, is there a more direct overland route from Sukhothai to Siem Reap??

Thank you BruceMoon for directing me to this thread.

#7 4tindoors has been a member since 30/8/2009. Posts: 3

Posted by BruceMoon on 30/8/2009 at 12:04

4tindoors

Maybe not all over...

I looked at 5 November to 'test':

BKK > REP (siem reap) Bangkok Air = US$207.

BKK > PNH (pp) Air Asia US$79
PNH > REP Bangkok Air US$79

So, direct = US$207, via PP = US$158.

This better on the budget?

Cheers

#8 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by pajero on 6/9/2009 at 01:36

We (2) are planning to be in Asia in mid October

We arrive in Bangkok at 2:00 PM and are scheduled to be in Siem Reap, Monday and Tuesday nights. This leaves us all of Tuesday for touring.

On Wednesday we fly to Hanoi.

The thought was instead of hanging around the airport till our flight to SR took place...some 3 hours. A door to door taxi would be more interesting, probably cheaper, less hassle and maybe the same time frame.

What do you think?

David

#9 pajero has been a member since 6/9/2009. Posts: 15

Posted by pajero on 6/9/2009 at 01:37

We arrive in Bangkok at 2:00 PM and are scheduled to be in Siem Reap, Monday and Tuesday nights. This leaves us all of Tuesday for touring.

The thought was instead of hanging around the airport till our flight to SR took place...some 3 hours. A door to door taxi would be more interesting, probably cheaper, less hassle and maybe the same time frame.

What do you think?

David

#10 pajero has been a member since 6/9/2009. Posts: 15

Posted by pajero on 6/9/2009 at 01:37

What do you think?

David

#11 pajero has been a member since 6/9/2009. Posts: 15

Posted by 4tindoors on 6/9/2009 at 08:43

BruceMoon again, thank you for your reply. I'm flying the route you suggested and will make the journey overland on the return. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

#12 4tindoors has been a member since 30/8/2009. Posts: 3

Posted by BruceMoon on 6/9/2009 at 09:06

pajero

My understanding is that flights to an international destination obligate the pax to check in some 2 hours prior, and some [ci]close off about an hour to hour and a half prior to departure. If you only have 3 hours between flights, that doesn't leave you much time.

Contributors here (TF) say that the road to the city from the (international) airport can be gridlocked, and well more than an hour (at the best of times).

My recollection of the airport environs was that there isn't a lot of hey, look at that sort of stuff.

Regarding Siem Reap (Angkor) also read this post - it may assist.

Cheers

#13 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by sayadian on 6/9/2009 at 22:53

Pajero
Easy enough to get a taxi from Suvannabhumi to Aryan, cross and get another in Cambodia.I guess with the new road in Cam the trip will take you approx 6 hours+ and cost about 5000 bht.But be warned it is not a scenic trip.By the way do you know what pajero means in Spanish?

#14 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557
 Send sayadian a private message 

Posted by Missis on 7/9/2009 at 02:22

Hello

We are planning to do the trip from Siem Reap to Bangkok, can anyone advise on how long the bus journey is likely to take and the cost? I am assuming that we can arrange tickets when we are in Siem Reap.

#15 Missis has been a member since 6/8/2009. Posts: 30

Posted by Missis on 7/9/2009 at 04:44

Ignore the above post, I have just realised I have asked the same question before! I am still curious on price and if there are the same sort of scams as there are from BK to Cambodia?

Thanks

#16 Missis has been a member since 6/8/2009. Posts: 30

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.