Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

more places to visit in Cambodia-Kirirom and Kampong Speu

Posted by sayadian on 13/9/2009 at 16:01

When I visited Kirirom National Park I spent two days there and was amazed by the absence of any foreign tourists. I wonder if many on here have been or plan to visit this beautiful part of Cambodia?
If they didn't go or are not planning on visiting, is/was it because of the diffculty in making transport arrangements?
Again, all of you who visit the 'killing fields' in PP are you aware of a similar site in Kampong Speu with the added attraction of a beautiful riverside location.You can get there by minibus from near Soraya bus station in Phnom Penh and it only takes an hour.

#1 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557
 Send sayadian a private message 

Posted by jojow25 on 3/10/2009 at 11:25

Hey sayadian - we're going there too when next month.. could you reccommend a place to stay within the naitonal park?

Cheers!

#2 jojow25 has been a member since 9/9/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 29

Posted by sayadian on 3/10/2009 at 20:37

Hi jowjow25
I stayed at a guesthouse in the village at the turn off (route 4) to Kirirom.There is the Kirirom resort which is just on the edge of the park.This looks nice but I would avoid visiting on the weekend when an endless convoy of 4x4s head there from Phnom Penh.Apart from the weekend it's pretty quite and very beautiful. I've also been told there are huts available from the visitors centre.
How are you getting there? if you're coming by bus from PP you will need to hire a moto to get into the park.The best way is to hire your own motorbike in PP or S'ville.

#3 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Posted by shaydan_01 on 16/11/2009 at 09:37

Hi Sayadian, I am very interested in visiting
Kirirom National Park and am wondering how you travelled there? I am thinking that hiring a motorbike or scooter from PP and riding there (with my partner) would be a great experience but it is a fair distance and I am not sure how we would go getting there and back in a day and how safe the road is for us to go alone etc. We've riden before so thats not an issue. Any feedback you have would be great!

#4 shaydan_01 has been a member since 16/11/2009. Location: Australia. Posts: 80
 Send shaydan_01 a private message 

Posted by sayadian on 16/11/2009 at 11:39

It's about two and a half hours ride from PP.I wouldn't attempt it on a small bike as the traffic constantly passing you can be a bit disconcerting.It is a busy road, the same one that goes to Sihanoukvuille (route 4?)but if you hire a decent trail bike you should have no problems if you understand the Khmer driving mentality. That is expect anyone to come from anywhere at anytime.Also if you hear an airhorn sound behind you, you are expected to move over onto the dirt track for him to pass.It's probably a quicker trip from Sihanoukville and you can hire a bike there.Kirirom is a lovely place to visit but it really is necessary to have your own transport to get away from the Khmer picnicking crowd who tend to spoil the landscape by chucking their rubbish on the grass.Hope you enjoy the trip.

#5 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Posted by shaydan_01 on 30/11/2009 at 06:55

Thanks for that advice, I will probably look into doing the trip from Sihanoukvuille and see if that might be a safer option.

#6 shaydan_01 has been a member since 16/11/2009. Location: Australia. Posts: 80
 Send shaydan_01 a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.