Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Tensions in Cambodia

Posted by ctam2009 on 30/9/2009 at 16:02

Posted from within Vietnam.

I HATE TO BE THE FIRST PERSON ASKING- but we've been told by a fellow traveler that there has been a civil war going on in Cambodia for the past 2 weeks. He also mentioned that there has been a rather large number of tourist casualties. (We know about the ongoing border disputes between Thailand and Cambodia- not worried about that as we will be flying in). I've searched the web pretty hard and checked the travel advisories with no information coming up. I would assume this guys was blowing smoke- but can anyone confirm these statements? Not by ANY MEANS trying to create worry, just want to make sure as a few of us plan to head there in a week or so. Thank you very much for any information you can provide! THANKS!!!

#1 ctam2009 has been a member since 16/7/2009. Posts: 9

Posted by idreamofdurian on 30/9/2009 at 16:28 TF writer

There was a civil war in Cambodia from 1970 - 1975?

Haven't heard anything about a current civil war and can't find anything online, not even on the Phnomh Penh Post website (http://www.phnompenhpost.com/).

#2 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by somtam2000 on 30/9/2009 at 16:38 admin

ctam2009: It's complete rubbish!

Hope that helps :)

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,575
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by palusami on 2/10/2009 at 14:20

Cambodia is pretty quiet at the moment actually it being the rainy season and all. No civil war, no expats evacuated (we-kiwis- are still here). pub street Siem Reap has been flooded in the last couple of days though as we get the residual rain from the Vietnamese typhoon!

#4 palusami has been a member since 2/10/2009. Posts: 4

Posted by ricksmylie on 25/10/2009 at 23:35

I think you might be getting confused as there was some fighting over the Preah Veah Temple up on the Northern border with Thailand a few months ago, a few soldiers were killed but it's died down now.

#5 ricksmylie has been a member since 25/10/2009. Location: Earth. Posts: 5
 Twitter 

Posted by rachrua on 10/11/2009 at 01:56

i was just doing a search for this same topic because i also heard this, myself and 3 other girls are planning a trip in february. Granted it was my dad that warned me of this and told us we should steer clear of the country for now, but i wonder where these people are getting their information from, my dad says he doesn't remember where he heard it. So you guys reckon there's absolutely no threat?...
Thanks, Rachel.

#6 rachrua has been a member since 10/11/2009. Location: Ireland. Posts: 8

Posted by ricksmylie on 10/11/2009 at 02:19

I absolutely guarantee you 100% that there are no problems in cambodia at the present moment that you need to worry about... go and see my pal Jon in Sihanoukville, he plays guitar in a bar called "Sessions" - i'm sure exactly where it is but he will make you most welcome..

try Independence Beach, or Otres Beach

#7 ricksmylie has been a member since 25/10/2009. Location: Earth. Posts: 5
 Twitter 

Posted by Rohan on 10/11/2009 at 05:14

If there was a civil war, it would be on the Australian government's travel advisory website and it is not. The government's position on the Cambodia's safety level can be found at:

http://www.smarttraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/advice/Cambodia

#8 Rohan has been a member since 16/6/2009. Posts: 63

Posted by Santatravel on 10/11/2009 at 09:44

I went to Cambodia not long time ago, there is a trouble between Cambodia and Thailand which still going on today. I have a close friend in Siem Reap so I probably know this more than other people do, we still keep in touch still today. It is 100 % safe in Cambodia it is just border dispute with is unsolved and not talk by both at all. The Thai did not take this issue to Asian Summit and want to talk to only Cambodian government. Now the tension is changing from the border to the former Thai PM Thaksin whom visit Cambodia this 12th Nov for commercial lesson to 300 officers invited from PM Hun Sen. I am just waiting to see because this is really interesting story for me.

On the other hand Cambodia is beautiful country which rich of ancient culture and natural resource. Especially the temple of Angkor and the surrounding area, please contact this guide for more information reach him with ratanak_eath@yahoo.com He is friendly and speak very good English and understand well about his country. thanks.
Santa

#9 Santatravel has been a member since 10/11/2009. Posts: 4

Posted by hideaki2208 on 30/11/2009 at 13:05

Once again, some more exciting happenings along the Thai-Cambodian border:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/11/05/thailand.cambodia.thaksin/index.html

I'll be in Cambodia from 28th till 3rd Jan and hope to exit Cambodia via the Poipet/Aranyaprathet crossing to Thailand. Has anyone taken this recently and has anything to advise on?? thanks so much for the help :D

#10 hideaki2208 has been a member since 30/11/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by ricksmylie on 30/11/2009 at 16:28

tourism is too important for both countries for them to allow this to effect any travellers and their plans in the area, i wouldnt worry too much about it.. it'll blow over whatever it is..

#11 ricksmylie has been a member since 25/10/2009. Location: Earth. Posts: 5
 Twitter 

Posted by Shaula on 30/11/2009 at 22:41

Hi I'm in Siem Reap right now and as far as I've heard there are still troups (from both countries) around Preah Veah but there is no trouble travelling around here. I've spoken to many people who ave crossed the border with Thailand the last few days and there were no problems..
So if you're not travelling to Preah Veah there shouldn't be any problems..

#12 Shaula has been a member since 24/11/2008. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.