Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Prasat Preah Vihear

Posted by IndygoIndy on 4/10/2009 at 13:53

Hi does anyone no if you can get to Prasat Preah Vihear after the wet. Will be in Siem Reap on 14th Oct and hoping to make our way there.

#1 IndygoIndy has been a member since 30/9/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 5/10/2009 at 08:09 admin

Should be able to do it, though could be rough going.

Two main routes:
Siem Reap to Anlong Veng by share taxi then moto to Preah Vihear, or
Siem Reap to Tbeng Meanchey by share taxi then moto or taxi to Preah Vihear.

If roads are bad, the latter is probably the better route, but I'd recommend asking around in Siem Reap about road conditions.

Lastly, you'll want to check on current affairs and check the temple will actually be open.

Hope that helps.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by KazAussie on 26/1/2010 at 12:30

$150 per day would be extremely expensive for Siem Reap and trips outwards. We had an offer of $30 per day for a taxi. I have the name of the driver we had if you want it.

#3 KazAussie has been a member since 18/7/2009. Posts: 221

Posted by soundsgood on 28/1/2010 at 17:43

I think they were talking about Prasat Preah Vihear, which is on the Northern border with Thailand.

I went there in Jan 2010 on the road from PP (via Tbeng Meanchey) and then onwards via Anlong Veng. The journey was done in a Toyota Camry with a Cambodian driver. All of the roads around there were having pipes installed to drain water from the surrounding land away from the road.

It is about 4 hours from Siem Reap. We stayed at a little/basic guesthouse at the base on the mountain and visited in the afternoon and again at dawn. Well worth it for a magical location with very few tourists (no other tourists at dawn!).

#4 soundsgood has been a member since 28/1/2010. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.