Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

kids in Cambodia

Posted by Caswell on 18/10/2009 at 16:53

Hi there!
We are a family of five - mom dad + 3 kids age 10, 8 and 3 -traveling SE Asia for seven weeks in December and January. We will be staying for about one week in both Siem Reap and in Phnom Phen (and 2 days in Battambang) - any suggestions as to what to see and do?

#1 Caswell has been a member since 3/8/2009. Posts: 7

Posted by Sparts on 18/10/2009 at 18:50

I don't mean to be rude, but you're kidding right?
Siem Reap - what to do? Thats like saying you're going to Disneyland and wondering what there is to do there! lol
Or are you asking what would be suitable for kids of that age? I could then understand the question ;p

#2 Sparts has been a member since 5/6/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 169
 Where has Sparts been? 

Posted by Caswell on 18/10/2009 at 21:44

:-) OK let me rephrase then!!! apart from the obvious... any ideas of what could be suitable things to do with kids age 10, 8 and 3 respectively... have read just about everything on this WONDERFUL travelfish website, by the way, so it is more specific knowledge I am after.

#3 Caswell has been a member since 3/8/2009. Posts: 7

Posted by Sparts on 19/10/2009 at 00:57

I went to Siem Reap with my GF and np kids in tow. To be honest I only saw a few familes there - so it can be done! Whatever happens it'll be a learning experience for them. I'd book a hotel in advance with a pool for the kids to play in. We visited the war museum which was interesting if only to hear the stories of the tour guide who was an ex soldier. There are lots of burnt out tanks, guns etc but nothing graphic.

The temples are very hard going. I'm guessing if you are with kids you'll be taking it easy. Although I'm not sure how interested they'll be they can run around to their hearts content as there are few places off limits. But, the steps can be very steep so it's certainly no playground. If you can get them out of bed early enough I'd go at dawn and witness the sunrise (you'd be surprised just how many people do this!), but this can be a long day and you'll have had enough by mid day.

The floating villages are worth a trip and the little ones get to go out in a boat which should be fun for them.

There is relly everything you need in Siem Reap. There are a couple of interesting markets to visit, one that should be visited is in the old town and has all manner of interesting foods - although I wasn't brave enough to try any! (Bugs!)

To be honest, on my experience there isn't that much tailored towards kids, but Cambodia is an adventure in itself. Sorry I couldn;t be more help, never been to the other stops on your route.

#4 Sparts has been a member since 5/6/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 169
 Where has Sparts been? 

Posted by somtam2000 on 19/10/2009 at 07:50 admin

Hi, glad to hear you've found the site useful.

Main thing with travelling with kids in Cambodia is if you're taking the share taxis (which can be a great way to get around if you take the entire car) -- there are no seatbelts. This was a bit of a hassle for us (with a newborn).

Otherwise, have you taken a look at the travel with kids section? Not all of it is relevant to kids the age of yours, but still may be of use.

Some ideas on things to do:
Visit Kompong Khleang out of Siem Reap (floating villages)
Do a boat trip from Phnom Penh
Take a ride on the bamboo train out of Battambang
Visit Phnom Tamao -- it's a wildlife sanctuary outside Phnom Penh -- not up to western "standards" but prob very interesting for the kids nevertheless. There is a story on it here: https://www.travelfish.org/feature/142

Hope that helps.

#5 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,565
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.