Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Expo 2006

Posted by halu on 21/9/2006 at 04:26

I'm going to be in and around Siem Reap for a few days in November and I just heard that there is going to be some sort of Expo that will supposedly attract twice the amount of tourists than they are used to.

Does anyone know anything about this?

#1 halu has been a member since 21/8/2006. Posts: 31

Posted by somtam2000 on 21/9/2006 at 09:05 admin

Hi Halu,

I'd not heard about it - but you can read more about it here at the official AITEX site.

Given how many hotels Siem Reap has I can't imagine you having too many difficulties with a room...

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by exkhmer on 22/9/2006 at 01:30

Yes, the Expo is called Gyeongju World Culture, sponsored by the South Korean and Cambodian governments. Siem Reap should be able to accomodated all tourists.

#3 exkhmer has been a member since 13/7/2006. Posts: 28

Posted by Vintage on 24/10/2006 at 16:29

This is the official website for the expo event:
http://www.angkor-gyeongjuexpo.com/eng/sub1/sub1_1_a.asp
It runs 20 November 2006 to 9 January 2007.

It's a cultural expo focusing on Korea and Cambodia but there's other countries involved too for things like the Performance Art events. There's also a kite festival and an international film festival going on as part of the expo too.

The AITEX is a tourism industry thing which is happening just for four days in mid December and is aimed at the travel agents etc. more than the general public.

Siem Reap will of course be very busy - I would expect a lot more tourists from surrounding Asian countries than usual - but there is plenty of excess accommodation at the moment.

I'm not sure about the capacity of transport services though, you might have troubles getting on your preferred flight or bus. If you're planning on flying in or out and you know your dates, I'd advise you to book ahead if you can. For buses, don't expect to turn up on five minutes notice and be guaranteed a seat on the next bus out - buy your ticket a day or two earlier, and then you can turn up on the day with no hassles.

#4 Vintage has been a member since 24/10/2006. Posts: 6

Posted by Averydka on 26/10/2006 at 05:31

Thanks for posting this information. I will be there during this time and it's good to know ahead of time for flights, accomodations, etc

#5 Averydka has been a member since 14/10/2006. Posts: 12

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.