Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Visa and Money Questions

Posted by dameon on 16/12/2009 at 09:53

Hello all,
My apologies if these questions have been asked and answered already, I did do a search, honest.

I will be crossing into Cambodia overland, and have heard about how the border officials supplement their income at Hat Lek crossing. Has anyone recently used the e-visa for overland crossing and if so how did it go? Or does anyone know how long it takes to get a visa at the Bangkok embassy.

Second question is in regards to money, I will be carrying US dollars, I know I should have crisp clean bills, is getting change a problem with larger bills, should I bring mostly fives, tens and twenties?
Thanks for your help! Looking forward to this adventure! Current Toronto temp is a balmy -12!

#1 dameon has been a member since 13/11/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by oscarcat on 16/12/2009 at 11:35

I would certainly try to avoid getting 50s and 100s from banks as they could prove troublesome to change, also hang on to those 1 dollar bills very handy for when you tell the moto driver you only have 1 dollar on you...
I recently crossed at Ko Kong with no e visa and paid 1000 bahts (reduced from 1200 after much protestation) so will be looking into evisa for next time (about a month away)

#2 oscarcat has been a member since 11/11/2008. Location: Cambodia. Posts: 66
 Twitter 

Posted by mikethediver on 31/12/2009 at 19:12

hi,
No experience of evisa, but it cost me 1,000 baht for the visa +US$1 for a entry stamp, (that according to the guide I shouldn't have paid but it was all friendly and no delays!). I avoided the 'medical' fee of US$1 by showing my vacation card!

Small bills are always best but we had no trouble and ATM's give money in US$ so you don't have to stock up before entering. (Canadia ATMs do not charge a withdrawal fee as of 4 months ago).

Typically, change is giving in dollars except for parts of a dollar. So something sold for $3:50 handing over a $5 note will get you US1 and 2,000 local washers in change.
Have a good trip

#3 mikethediver has been a member since 23/3/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 206
 Send mikethediver a private message   Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.