Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

lone female traveller -help!

Posted by mads535 on 17/12/2009 at 03:54

Hi there, I’m going to SE Asia next year in early April for 2 and a half months :) and will be travelling some of it with a friend and some of it alone. The bits I will be doing myself are Laos, Cambodia and a small bit of N Thailand (from Chang Mai over the border to Laos, then the slow boat to Luang Prabang) and a bit of S Thailand.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any opinion on places/guest houses I should definitely stay away from being by myself? Or if anyone has any suggestions on guest houses which would be good to stay at (am on a budget).

#1 mads535 has been a member since 11/12/2009. Posts: 4

Posted by robk on 18/12/2009 at 10:38

not seen much of northern thailand or luang prabang but been to vang vien and i lived in vientiane for 2months both places being very safe for single travellers, lots of female and male travellers doing it alone. in vientiane its pretty standard that rooms are 250baht n up i never came across anywhere cheaper and if you find accomodation around the water fountain you will be in central vietiane so everything walking distance and the public swimming pool is right there which you might want to use as it can get really hot at times.

right now im in siem reap, im staying at the popular guesthouse, $3 for a room with shared bathroom or $5 with a private bathroom. no tv or aircon but my fan is very sufficient and my room is nice and cool. its very central and all the staff are polite and helpful. the standard of the room is `you get what you pay for`. if your on a budget then cambodia is really cheap for food and beverages but the excursions are abit pricey for SE asia, however if your here they are worth the visit. hope i helped you a little bit.

#2 robk has been a member since 15/2/2009. Posts: 5

Posted by mads535 on 21/12/2009 at 01:37

hi, thanks for the info, reassuring to know there are lots of other people travelling alone. really looking forward to it all but ever so slightly scared at the same time!

Like the idea of staying in central Vientiane. Do you think I would need to book in advance (will be there around the middle of May)? or can you just turn up and find somewhere?

The siem reap guesthouse sounds nice - again do you think I would need to book in advance?

#3 mads535 has been a member since 11/12/2009. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.