Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

9-11 days in Cambodia

Posted by nadineurban on 29/12/2009 at 20:12

Hello!
I am going for 3 weeks to Laos and Cambodia. I already planned Laos but I keep changing plans for Cambodia. The issue is mainly that I would like to end the holidays with a couple of days at a nice beach. Reading comments about the islands and beaches in this forum I am not sure if Cambodia is the right place when I am looking for a nice beach...
Could someone maybe recommend a route which finishes at a nice beach on a Thai island? I started thinking that I don't have enough time to see parts of Combodia and to go to a nice island... given the slow transport.
ps: I am coming from the 4000 Island region, have then 9-11 days before I fly back from Bangkok
I am thankful for every comment. I am planning and chaning plans since weeks now and I am flying in 3 days!
Thank you!!

#1 nadineurban has been a member since 15/11/2009. Posts: 3

Posted by Geoff334 on 30/12/2009 at 03:49

Transport is slow but you still have time to go down to Sihanoukville for a
few days. Better to go now before the developers really
screw the place up

#2 Geoff334 has been a member since 30/12/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 1

Posted by idreamofdurian on 30/12/2009 at 11:36 TF writer

Where are you planning to enter Cambodia from Laos? If you tell me your intended first location in Cambodia I can help with an itinerary better.

The islands Ko Chang and Ko Samet are (approximately) on the way from Cambodia to Bangkok.

#3 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Send idreamofdurian a private message   Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by nadineurban on 30/12/2009 at 17:23

Thank you!

I will fly to Pakse and then spend a week in South Laos. I am very flexible. So if there is a way to see some nice bits of Combodia and go to a nice (not too touristy) island before I have to fly back to Bangkok I can adjust my plans in South Laos.

These were the options my boyfiend worked out but I feel its all a bit rushed and doesn't include the travel back to Bangkok.

* 1 day travel to PP. 1 day PP, 1 day travel, 2 days KK, ½ day travel, 2.5 days Thai islands (1 flight)

* 1 day travel, 1 day SR, ½ day travel, 1.5 days battambang, 1 day travel, 3 days thai islands. (2 flights)

* 1 day travel, 2 days SR, 1 day travel, 4 days thai island. (2 flights)

If staying in Cambodia

* 1 day travel, 2 days PP, 1 day travel, 4 days SK and Islands or PP. (1 flight – already paid).

* 1 day travel, 1 day SR, 1 day travel, 1 days PP, 1 day travel, 3 days SK and Islands or KK (can move a day from this to somewhere else) 2 flights)

Thank you for any recommendations!!!

Nadine

#4 nadineurban has been a member since 15/11/2009. Posts: 3

Posted by idreamofdurian on 30/12/2009 at 17:46 TF writer

Do you want a beach for diving/snorkeling, or just for sunbathing and a bit of swimming? Cuz the ones in Cambodia are fine for chilling out...

From P.Penh it's a half day's journey south to a little town called Kep . Near Kep is a small island called Koh Tonsay (AKA Rabbit Island). If you want something that's not too touristy it's a good choice for a couple days. It's quite rustic - no resorts or anything like that. The fresh crab there is supposed to be heavenly!

Kep is then a short bus ride to Sihanoukville which is much more developed and has more of a party scene. From Sihanoukville you can boat/bus to Koh Kong (border town). From Koh Kong there's direct mini-bus service to Ko Chang or even to Bangkok.

#5 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Send idreamofdurian a private message   Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.