Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Breakdancing in Cambodia

Posted by somtam2000 on 13/1/2010 at 10:49 admin

Yup, you read the topic title correctly!

Here's a short documentary that was posted on a great Cambodia blog I just stumbled across.

You can also see the video here.

It mentions in the story that the teacher isn't permitted to go to the US with the students -- the reason for that is explained in this Time story -- kudos to KK. Well worth a read

#1 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,707
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Archmichael on 13/1/2010 at 11:09

Thanks, Somtam. Great video, and a moving story at the Time link. The US deportation law seems (like too much of America) heavy-handed (not excusing KK for joining the Crips, and all the rest, btw). I'm going to check these guys out when I'm in Phnom Penh in a few months. Tiny Toones!

#2 Archmichael has been a member since 23/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 396
 Send Archmichael a private message 

Posted by DuncanStuart on 2/2/2010 at 10:55

Tiny Toones looks like a great project in Phnom Penh - and fascinating how KK fell foul of the US law, got deperted to a homeland he'd never seen before - and has been on a journey alongside the kids he teaches. Inspirational. Cambodian educaiton is quite light on creative subjects such as music, art and self expression in writing - and it is always fabulous to see young Cambodians just take to these forms of self-expression. Brilliant - really worth checking out.

#3 DuncanStuart has been a member since 22/9/2009. Posts: 32

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.