Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Angkor-Mekong Delta-Saigon

Posted by marianapagotto on 23/1/2010 at 18:13

Hello!

First of all, congratulations for the wonderful website! It's helping me soo much in my travelling plans..

Me and my partner will spend a few days in Angkor Wat in beginning of May this year and were thinking about going to Saigon via the Mekong Delta afterwards. We want to do everything by ourselves. Do you think it's possible or we need to get into a tour? I would really love to spend some time in the Delta! Do you recommend any specific places there? Do you know the best route we should take?!

Thank you so much,

Mariana

#1 marianapagotto has been a member since 21/1/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by Lother on 24/1/2010 at 01:30

Hi :). It's very possible to travel by yourself from Siem Reap (Angkor Wat) through the Delta to Saigon. There are a few alternatives, but an easy and interesting route is to take a bus to Phnom Penh and a boat from there to Chau Doc in Vietnam. You can then explore the Delta further or just take a bus to Saigon from there after looking around.

For more about different places in the Delta, see:
https://www.travelfish.org/feature/122

#2 Lother has been a member since 12/5/2006. Location: Earth. Posts: 214
 Send Lother a private message 

Posted by Dylan on 24/1/2010 at 14:39

Posted from within Vietnam.

Agreed--I just did this a few weeks ago. Bus it to PP, secure your VN visa (if necessary) then hop on the boat to Chau Doc. I took local buses around the Delta, then up to Saigon. All very easy.

Don't miss a boat trip (in as small a boat as possible) to the markets and farms near Can Tho...very memorable.

#3 Dylan has been a member since 21/3/2009. Posts: 25
 Website 

Posted by marianapagotto on 24/1/2010 at 17:22

Thank you so much for your help, guys!

Which place would you recommend us to visit in the Delta? We were thinking about doing Chau Doc, Vinh Long and Can Tho. Do you think these places are the best ones? Unfortunately we won't have a lot of time in the Delta to do more than that..

Thank you!

#4 marianapagotto has been a member since 21/1/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by Lother on 25/1/2010 at 00:22

I think those three would give you a good picture of the region, should be fun!

#5 Lother has been a member since 12/5/2006. Location: Earth. Posts: 214
 Send Lother a private message 

Posted by KazAussie on 25/1/2010 at 17:43

Hi from Vinh Long you can do a homestay/tour which includes seeing rice paper making, popped rice making, cultural show etc. It includes ride in small motorised boat and a sampan, cycling around the island, and making fresh spring rolls at the homestay. It is very much geared to the tourist market but well worth doing none the same. Just a word of caution, the tour also includes the Cai Bah floating markets, but I am not sure whether we just got there too late or what but there was nothing much to see. I understand the floating markets at Can Tho are great (but didn't see them).

Cheers

Karen

#6 KazAussie has been a member since 18/7/2009. Posts: 221

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.