Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

DIY phnom Penh to Siem Reap

Posted by ckh on 19/2/2010 at 13:59

we (about 6 pax) are planning to travel free and easy on our own from PP to SR, pls help me as we are not sure whether we will face difficulty in language (is english commonly use in these 2 places?), transport from PP to SR (as in which is the safest and best way to travel) and any hotel to recommend, basically we will like to visit angkor wat in SR. Thank you.

#1 ckh has been a member since 19/2/2010. Posts: 3

Posted by dano_b on 19/2/2010 at 16:33

English is widely used in both these cities, as they as main tourist destinations. I had no trouble communicating with anyone when I was there. Anyone who would deal with tourists speaks good enough English.

Transport from PP to SR is easy and frequent. Buses are cheap and run a few different times each day. From my experiences they are pretty safe, albeit loud and never on time! We also ran into a couple who had rented motos and drove themselves from PP to SR and said it was quite easy to navigate, in case you interested in doing things on your own!

#2 dano_b has been a member since 20/12/2009. Posts: 24
 Send dano_b a private message 

Posted by ckh on 19/2/2010 at 21:21

Thank you longtail driver.

#3 ckh has been a member since 19/2/2010. Posts: 3

Posted by ChrisM48 on 20/2/2010 at 12:49

We travelled from PP to SR and back using local buses, arranged through our guesthouse. No problem whatsoever.

Roads were fine and the stops along the way very interesting should you wish to purchase the local delicacies!

#4 ChrisM48 has been a member since 12/12/2006. Posts: 17

Posted by ckh on 20/2/2010 at 15:19

Thank you packpaker

#5 ckh has been a member since 19/2/2010. Posts: 3

Posted by borisborough on 27/2/2010 at 06:03

It's possible to buy coach tickets in Phnom Penh for US$7 at many travel shops. We used the one next to the King's Court Restaurant on Sisowath Quay. We also booked accommodation there in SR - $20 per night for the Mekong Angkor Palace (with swimmiong pool) including breakfast and transfer from bus station to hotel.

Enjoy your travels.

#6 borisborough has been a member since 30/11/2009. Posts: 21
 Send borisborough a private message 

Posted by miz_ad on 19/9/2010 at 16:21

dano_b & ChrisM48

which bus service did u used? i will be taking a bus from SR to PP. a lot of confusing reviews on the buses.

#7 miz_ad has been a member since 19/9/2010. Posts: 1

Posted by Indoluso on 19/9/2010 at 20:44

I did that journey 4 times (big story) this summer and bought tickets in the travel agency just in front of the place where boats to/from Vietnam arrive. we paid 10$, I think their are chances of buying a little cheaper as said above. anyway you can always have a look in different agencies. we did the trip in different companies and both were good. one of the times we used a taxi, paid 60$, if you feel tired its a great option as instead of 6h the trip takes 3h and you're much more confortable in a car! if you're good at bargaining I think you could make that price go down...

#8 Indoluso has been a member since 22/12/2009. Posts: 133

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.