Photo: Terraces, Yuanyang.

China forum

Train tickets in China

Posted by Timetotravel12 on 27/4/2014 at 16:45

Hello,

Can anyone recommend the best place to buy train tickets in advance? I need to buy two tickets for travel in June from Xian to Beijing. I believe there is a fast train which takes 5 hours. I see they are available to buy on the website chinatravelguide.com but wasn't sure if that was an over inflated tourist price and wondered if it's best to buy them when we arrive in China?

Any tips would be great,

#1 Timetotravel12 has been a member since 29/7/2012. Posts: 19

Posted by caseyprich on 27/4/2014 at 23:32

I'm thinking you mean travelchinaguide.com? Those ticket prices are basically correct, not inflated. I've never personally used the site, but I've known people who have and had no problems. It can be convenient to get tickets ahead of time in China, though there are a lot of trains, they can fill up on popular routes. Make sure to go for a D or G train.

#2 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Send caseyprich a private message   Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by caseyprich on 28/4/2014 at 01:46

Sorry - wanted to add, you can only book tickets 20 day (or is it 14 . . can't recall) in advance. At least that is the case at the booking kiosks around town.

#3 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Send caseyprich a private message   Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by Timetotravel12 on 30/4/2014 at 01:01

Thanks Caseyprich yes I had read that you can only buy them 14days in advance at kiosks that's why we are thinking of buying them online before we leave for china. I think we will go ahead and buy them from travelchinaguide.com

#4 Timetotravel12 has been a member since 29/7/2012. Posts: 19

Posted by freiburger on 4/5/2014 at 03:47

If you buy them 1 or 2 days in advance you should be fine.

Even on 2nd May we were able to buy tikets for the fast train 4 days ahead from Beijing to Tianjin. And this is a really busy day because of the holiday.

But if you decide to buy at the trainstation, be prepared, you have to find the right counter and most of the staff speaks little english. t helps alot to speak a little chinese. Even better if you can read some symbols. Although 99% percent is in english available, when it comes to find the right counter a little chinese helps.

Tomorrow I will go to Xi'An from Tianjin, but we decided to take an Air China flight to save some time. But in general fast trains are really good in China.

#5 freiburger has been a member since 27/12/2012. Posts: 126
 Send freiburger a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.