Text page

China

China forum

ITINERARY ADVICE + BUDGET ADVICE

Posted by jameswitcomb on 16/4/2015 at 12:02

Hey all !
So I am planning a trip to Japan/China - 27 days all in all..
My budget is £1000 excluding flights which are £450 return from the UK.
I am planning to go in hostels or couch surf a couple cities too
If anyone who has travelled to both countries and can assist me with my itinerary and budget - if it is do-able? Then please help.
ITIN:
May 12- to tokyo
13 tokyo
14 tokyo
15 mt Fuji day
16 Osaka
17 Kyoto
18 Hiroshima back to Kyoto
19 back to Tokyo
20 Tokyo to Beijing (FLIGHT)
21 Beijing
22 Beijing Great Wall day
23 to xian
24 xian
25 Shanghai
26 Shanghai
27 Shanghai
28 Guilin then yangshuo
29 yangshuo
30 yangshuo
31 yangtze river day
1 june to Hong Kong
4 fly back
3 more days to be slotted in there somewhere - will be flying back on the 7th actually

#1 jameswitcomb has been a member since 16/4/2015. Posts: 1

Posted by MWasser6 on 16/4/2015 at 16:04

hi James,

Thats not a bad budget at about £35/day, but just keep in mind Tokyo, Beijing, Shanghai, and Hong Kong are all quite expensive cities, and you could blow that budget just in a weekend in any of those places. Hostels in these cities will run at least £10/night for a dorm bed I've spent a ton of time in China so will only comment on that.

How are you planning on getting from Beijing to Xian, Xian to Shanghai, Shanghai to Guilin, and Guilin to Hong Kong? if you are flying you need to take cost into account (£50-100 per flight- about 1/4 to 1/3 of your budget). If you are training, this is going to eat up about 4-6 days of your itinerary or a lot of your budget depending on what type of train/class you are taking.

Travelling around china is not that cheap nowadays, trains between major cities can be over £100 if on a high speed line, and given your short itinerary it looks like ur expecting to do that from Beijing to Xian, which last time I checked was about $90 USD one way. The high speed from Shanghai to Guilin is also £100+, or over 24 hours for the slow train.

Basically with that in mind, id cut out Xian at least to save some money and time. you dont have that much time in Beijing and there is a ton to see.

#2 MWasser6 has been a member since 6/8/2012. Posts: 19

Posted by antoniamitchell on 17/4/2015 at 01:22

I don't think your plan or budget is practical.

If you don't mind staying out in the far suburbs, you can get a hostel dorm bed in Tokyo for £10, but if you want to be near the centre (to cut your time and costs wasted on public transport), you're looking at a minimum of £20 a night. Add to that food (cheaper than the UK, but not super cheap in many places these days), sightseeing (not cheap either), and transport (inner-city transport can be cheap, but long-distance transport is often quite expensive).

As mentioned above, you're trying to cover vast distances and haven't allocated sufficient time to do so in your itinerary. You're budget will force you to spend half your vacation time on transport as you don't have the budget for high speed transport (for instance, the train from Tokyo to Osaka takes 2.5 hours and costs £75, the bus is available for a quarter of that, but takes 8 hours).

You obviously haven't done much research into the practicalities, so I'd suggest you do that and then either change your trip to fit your budget, or postpone the trip until you can save up more money.

Good luck

#3 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 566

Posted by gecktrek on 17/4/2015 at 20:37

hey, i agree with whats been said previously, to add, i travelled to china in 2010 and japan in 2012 and spent $30/per day and $80/day respectively... i'm sure prices may have risen since...

#4 gecktrek has been a member since 24/3/2013. Location: Australia. Posts: 171

Posted by caseyprich on 18/4/2015 at 13:33

Even your bland and ever-present Motel 168 is going to run 30-35 USD a night. Hostels will often fill-up during May as it is a really pleasant time to travel in China. You can eat really cheaply, but you also won't be able to afford the fun night-life and great restaurants that make Shanghai and Hong Kong so special.

While you're able to rent a bike cheaply, any other tours or boat rides (like the Li River cruise) that you may want to do would really dent this budget as well.

If you cut out Japan you'll save a lot of time and money and could do more justice to your China trip, also saving some money by taking trains here and there - great distances though. I doubt you'd want to cut out Japan, so maybe the best bet to save some cash and time would be to cut Shanghai out. You seem really interested in culture and nature, and there isn't as much of that to find in Shanghai compared to Beijing, which you short-change in your itinerary. Mind you, I lived in Shanghai for five years, so I'm not against the place, I love it - but I don't think it fits your schedule and interests. I'd add the time to Beijing and explore there . . . but again, not sure about how you're budget is going to work overall.

I'm also confused by 31: Yangtze River day. You must mean a Li River cruise, as the Yangtze is much farther north.

#5 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281

Posted by caseyprich on 18/4/2015 at 13:34

@somtam, or anyone else - why do these locations link to the Lonely Planet site?

#6 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281

Posted by antoniamitchell on 18/4/2015 at 13:59

Casey, I'm guessing the OP originally posted this on Thorntree, then copied and pasted his post here (copying the LP automatic links as he did so)

#7 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 566

Posted by somtam2000 on 19/4/2015 at 07:15 admin

Yup what Antonia said.

I guess the post was first placed on TT and then copied across to here as LP does the same as we do in inserting links to destination names to make it easier for people to get to the relevant pages on the site. Same happens with posts copied over from TripAdvisor.

Cheers

#8 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,062

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.