Photo: Baci ceremony, Luanag Prabang.

Culture and politics forum

ok to be a lefty?

Posted by sic8vita8est on 8/6/2010 at 12:26

Not politically, I assume that's ok :)

Every book I read says its impolite/disgusting to eat with your left hand in Asia. The problem is, I'm left-handed and its not real easy to re-learn how to use chopsticks with my other hand.

I still have a few months before I head to SEA. Is anybody really going to care if I use my left hand??

#1 sic8vita8est has been a member since 8/6/2010. Posts: 7

Posted by wanderingcat on 8/6/2010 at 22:46

Every book I read says its impolite/disgusting to eat with your left hand in Asia

Asia is really huge & diverse. this thing about not using the left hand for food applies only to certain ethnic groups, & usually only in situations where food (esp rice) is eaten using bare hands - rationale = hygiene (right hand for food, left hand for cleaning butt in loo). people from these ethnic groups will use their left hand when they're eating with utensils - fork/chopsticks in one hand, spoon in the other.

#2 wanderingcat has been a member since 21/10/2006. Posts: 730
 Send wanderingcat a private message   Where has wanderingcat been?   Website 

Posted by sic8vita8est on 9/6/2010 at 12:24

Thanks, WC. I suppose the area "Asia" was a bit overbroad. Now I can start worrying about more important aspects of my trip. . .

#3 sic8vita8est has been a member since 8/6/2010. Posts: 7

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.