Photo: Baci ceremony, Luanag Prabang.

Culture and politics forum

Thai wedding ceremony

Posted by MADMAC on 24/6/2009 at 00:16

A friend of mine is about to marry a Thai woman from the area, and he asked me what the wedding ceremony was going to be like. I asked him how "culturally sensitive" he wanted to be. Of course, he wants to make a good impression on his new in laws. So I told him one word applies - pain. I spent five hours on my knees, man I could barely stand when my wedding was over. I sucked it up, and pretended it was a great time, but it was horrible. Hot, jet-lagged, dehydrated and my knees and back were screaming by the time the chanting was over.

Have any of you married a Thai and how painful was the ceremony? Mine was almost ten years ago, and I can remember it like it was yesterday.

My "homestay", which was two months long, was also an interesting adventure. Thank God I had a work project to do (repairing the house) to keep me busy, because the village was incredibly boring.

#1 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by Thaiman on 24/6/2009 at 15:15

I'm married to a Thai but got married in Aus-so therefore it was quite painless.Went to my step-son's wedding a couple of years back in Mae Sot but it was very low key.Only immediate family and performed by a solitary Monk.The ceremony was over in about 30mins.I don't think I could last 5 hours on my knees;5 minutes is about my limit.

#2 Thaiman has been a member since 12/11/2008. Posts: 201
 Send Thaiman a private message 

Posted by MADMAC on 24/6/2009 at 17:04

I don't know how I did it. I recently attended a bhudist ceremony where my neighbor became a monk, and that was a whole lot less painful.

I met a guy here who was older (and I must say particularly obnoxious vis a vis his Thai wife) and he insisted on a chair. So everyone else was on their knees and he sat in a chair, looking ridiculous. Too bad some other accomodation couldn't be found. The way he treats her, though, they'll be divorced in a year. She's in it for the money, he's in it for the nookie - not a recipe for a long term relationship.

#3 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by Jon_Mak_Mak on 9/8/2009 at 16:28

I got married in Bangkok in Bang Lak and it was just me and my wifey and it was very emotional when we gave each other our rings about an hour later in an MK restaurant!

We love each other, thats all that matters to us.

Now what matters to her family is a different story! heheh :)

#4 Jon_Mak_Mak has been a member since 21/2/2007. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 464
 Website 

Posted by Jon_Mak_Mak on 12/8/2009 at 15:41

Problem sorted.

;)

#5 Jon_Mak_Mak has been a member since 21/2/2007. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 464
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.