Photo: Baci ceremony, Luanag Prabang.

Culture and politics forum

Thai Chess

Posted by MADMAC on 29/7/2009 at 03:22

For any of you who enjoy playing International Chess, Thai Chess is very easy to learn. If you play international chess well, you will adapt to Thai chess fairly quickly. I love playing it and recently spent an entire afternoon in Bangkok playing with a bunch of motorcycle taxi drivers. The origins of the game are fascinating and I encourage any chess players to take the time (and it won't be much - I learned in about five minutes) to learn. Great fun.

#1 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by Jon_Mak_Mak on 9/8/2009 at 15:19

Nice one mate! I never even thought about Thai chess.

Will look into it more.

#2 Jon_Mak_Mak has been a member since 21/2/2007. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 464
 Website 

Posted by neosho on 26/8/2009 at 09:59

Don't know if it's chess or a form of checkers but the motorcycle taxi drivers I have played with in Bangkok use bottle caps. It cost me 3 large Leo's to learn. :)

#3 neosho has been a member since 13/8/2008. Posts: 386

Posted by MADMAC on 26/8/2009 at 15:01

It was thai checkers. Very popular here - but I like it about as much as I like American checkers - that is, not.

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.