Photo: Cycling the backblocks of Thonburi.

Cycling in Asia forum

Cycling Singapore to China

Posted by clairelh on 1/5/2015 at 11:58

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are planning to cycle from Singapore into China (probably via Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia and Laos). Has anyone got experience of any of these routes and whether there are nice roads to cycle on etc?
Thanks
Claire

#1 clairelh has been a member since 1/5/2015. Posts: 4
 Send clairelh a private message 

Experience the Andaman Sea
Experience the Andaman Sea
Ad Spend 3 days / 2 nights on The Junk
From US$400.

liveaboard.com

Read more

Posted by gecktrek on 1/5/2015 at 17:52

hey, interesting trip, that would have to be well over 3000kms, how long would that take you to complete?

#2 gecktrek has been a member since 24/3/2013. Location: Australia. Posts: 171
 Send gecktrek a private message   Where has gecktrek been?   Website   Flickr  

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by clairelh on 2/5/2015 at 12:08

hello, we are working on around 3 months! Any advice?

#3 clairelh has been a member since 1/5/2015. Posts: 4
 Send clairelh a private message 

Posted by MADMAC on 2/5/2015 at 12:16

Here's one piece of advice - try to avoid busy highways and ride very carefully. Drivers here are notoriously bad and bicycle riders are particularly vulnerable because of their slow speeds, creating significant speed differentials. Do not assume people here know the rules of the road and do not assume they will yield right of way to you. Ride as if everyone around you is a total moron and / or drunk.

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by Tilapia on 30/5/2015 at 09:43

Hi Clair,

If you're still looking at this site and following your post, feel free to contact me with the Private Message function. I have done a lot of cycling in Thailand and have a few things to say about it.

Cheers

#5 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,524
 Send Tilapia a private message   Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by mixxat on 31/5/2015 at 09:09

Hi Tilapia you can write your few things here.
I think maybe they would be helpful for other cyclers too.

#6 mixxat has been a member since 29/4/2012. Location: Other. Posts: 42
 Send mixxat a private message 

Posted by daawgon on 31/5/2015 at 13:15

Seems to me that one of the problems of cycling in SE Asia is that very few roads have a proper shoulder on which to cycle. Please reread the post written by MADMAC - he's not lying one bit!

#7 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 1,159
 Send daawgon a private message   Facebook  

Posted by SoozandRob on 13/1/2016 at 10:44

Hi all

My husband and I are planning to cycle from Bangkok to Siem Reap over the course of a week. We have received a quote from Spiceroads, which is all inclusive and pretty expensive. We have never cycled in Asia but have travelled there and would be perfectly happy to arrange everything ourselves, except that the cycling (route/roads/border crossing/facilities) is an unknown quantity and I have no idea whether it is sensible to do that on our own.

Do you have any tips or advice: either as to how we could sensibly do it solo – including bikes to rent in Bangkok and return in Siem Reap…(!); or as to any other tours that might offer a little more independence and be cheaper?

Thanks so much.
Sooz and Rob

#8 SoozandRob has been a member since 13/1/2016. Posts: 1

Posted by Tilapia on 25/2/2016 at 08:25

Hi Sooz and Rob. Have you started your trip yet?

#9 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,524
 Send Tilapia a private message   Where has Tilapia been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.