Photo: Cycling the backblocks of Thonburi.

Cycling in Asia forum

Cycle tour in West Java: possible routes?

Posted by TheUnionJack on 16/10/2016 at 21:11

Hi there,

My father and I are looking to go on a cycle tour in Indonesia during the summer. It would preferably be in West Java, but anywhere in Java is fine. We would do no more than 300-400 kilometres or 2 weeks of cycling, and it would hopefully be either a round-trip (starting and finishing in Jakarta) or including a train or maybe a ferry to get us back to Jakarta. Any ideas on routes we could take?

Thanks very much!

#1 TheUnionJack has been a member since 16/10/2016. Posts: 2
 Website 

Skip the queues!
Skip the queues!
Ad Book plane, train, bus & ferry tickets
with 12Go Asia.

12go.asia

Read more

Posted by somtam2000 on 17/10/2016 at 19:55 admin

Hmm, not an area I'm all that familiar with personally, and I think a priority would be getting off the main roads - but maybe something like Jakarta, Bogor , south coast ( Ujung Genteng etc) then Bandung and back? I know around Bogor and Bandung there is plenty of scope for exploring, rural areas, volcanoes etc.

Sorry to be so vague - hopefully some help!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,021
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by skinnybiker on 8/11/2016 at 05:08

Look at CGOAB for rides in Indonesia though few ride Java. There is a guy who's ridden from Pelabuhan Ratu to Pangandaran (I think). It would be pretty essential to get out of Jakarta before starting to ride; Cilegon - Sunda Strait - Pelabuhan Ratu - Bogor is one possibility. Take the train to Bogor or Bandung to start riding. Elsewhere in Java I'd say stay off the N coast which is busy and boring, central route is mountainous but the southern route should be rewarding. Let us know how you get on; it's an area I'd like to ride. Skinnybiker

#3 skinnybiker has been a member since 26/5/2011. Posts: 3

Posted by skinnybiker on 8/11/2016 at 06:40

Just found this report on cycling in Indonesia.

#4 skinnybiker has been a member since 26/5/2011. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.