Photo: Cycling the backblocks of Thonburi.

Cycling in Asia forum

Bikes on planes?

Posted by mackpappy on 10/1/2008 at 02:30

Hello Again,

I am doing a two week bicycle trip starting in Vientiane, heading to Luang Prabang and then I'm not sure. I was thinking about flying from LP to Pakse to do some riding around that area including Bolaven Plateau and Champasak. Does anyone know if it is possible to take bikes on the planes from LP to Pakse? If this will be a major hassle, I may just tour the north, but the south looks really great, so any input would be appreciated. I arrive in Vientiane on Feb 5 and leave on the 20th. Also, any suggestions for guides to show me around Vientiane? Thanks a million!

Geoff

#1 mackpappy has been a member since 8/1/2008. Posts: 3

Posted by goo_stewart on 13/1/2008 at 20:46

Never taken my bike between LP and Pakse, but Laos Air generally doesn't have a problem. Why not take a bus up to LP, then cycle all the way south. It can be done in your time frame with some spare time to go off the main highway?

#2 goo_stewart has been a member since 10/10/2007. Posts: 69
 Website 

Posted by luvindzine on 9/10/2009 at 10:42

I would think that cycling through this area would be beautiful. I would certainly call the airline first to see if the bike will be a hassle. They may even charge a bit more for taking it. Best to find out first before you are surprised.

#3 luvindzine has been a member since 9/10/2009. Posts: 3
 Website 

Posted by Tilapia on 26/10/2009 at 04:37

Hi Mackpappy,

I just read part of a blog by a guy who cycles around Thailand/Laos/Cambodia quite a lot. He has some very negative things to say about Air Asia ... just in case you think about taking that airline. Here is the link to his webjournal.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=RrzKj&page_id=130290&v=1D

#4 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,496
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.