Photo: Cycling the backblocks of Thonburi.

Cycling in Asia forum

Trek along Mekong

Posted by priyanka on 9/6/2008 at 17:05

I am planning trip down the Mekong on Cycle with my friends.. Jan feb 2009
I plan to do it till Laos cross over in a boat.. or preferrably on the cyle again... then fly or reach somehow( Cylce/bus) Laos capital... venture around and then go to Siem Reap.

Is all this possible... has someone done this cycle trekking?

Thanks in advance

#1 priyanka has been a member since 9/6/2008. Posts: 3

Posted by priyanka on 9/6/2008 at 17:06

We start from Northern thailand, cycle trek..down.. I hope it is not very confusing????

#2 priyanka has been a member since 9/6/2008. Posts: 3

Posted by somtam2000 on 9/6/2008 at 18:18 admin

I knew there was a post about this somewhere...

Here's some tips for the Thailand portion of the ride

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,565
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Tilapia on 9/6/2008 at 18:57

I plan to do something similar in December, beginning in Loei province and finishing in the 4000 Island area of S. Laos.

Highway #211 and Highway #212 are great for cycling. The traffic is not too heavy, the scenery is great, and it's quite flat for the majority of the way. At least it is between Chiang Khan and Nong Khai it is. There are places to stay at good intervals (Chiang Khan, Pak Chom, Sangkhom, Si Chiangmai, Nong Khai), lots of temples, lots of tobacco farms, nice little villages and very friendly people.

You can cross in Nong Khai and follow #13 to S. Laos, but from what I have read it seems that choices for places to stay/sleep after Vientiane might be very limited. However, I would like to read more about this highway.

But, for the area between Chiang Khan and Nong Khai, it's fantastic!!! I will try to get my trip report posted before you go in January. I should be home by around January 7th.

Cheers
Mike

#4 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,495
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by MADMAC on 24/10/2009 at 00:33

"You can cross in Nong Khai and follow #13 to S. Laos, but from what I have read it seems that choices for places to stay/sleep after Vientiane might be very limited. However, I would like to read more about this highway."

If you stay on the Thai side through NKP province and cross at Mukdahan into Laos, there are a lot of places to stay. BUT, there ain't much between Savanakhet and Pakse. You might want to wait until Udon to cross.

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by pythagnz on 22/12/2009 at 02:10

I rode the route from Vientiane to Pakse in May 2008. There was a lot of new development, especially in the first 100km after Vientiane. Accommodation isn't actually a problem. Check out the journals over at crazyguyonabike.com for ideas.

#6 pythagnz has been a member since 12/7/2005. Posts: 17

Posted by priyanka on 22/12/2009 at 03:54

Our trip has been postponed till later this year as One of my frens got pregnant while we were planning this.

So we go probably in OCt or Nov 2010. Thanks for all your trip advise.

Yes Mike your update will be most useful all of us bikers here.

I checked out crazy guy on a bike.....very innovative.

#7 priyanka has been a member since 9/6/2008. Posts: 3

Posted by Tilapia on 22/12/2009 at 21:30

Recommend that you hold off until November. It will probably still be raining in October.

I have really dropped the ball on writing up my bike journal, but after Christmas it should be much easier. The snow is flying and I'll be inside more. I'm hoping to include "before and after" photos. Before = when I first went through the area in the early '90s, and After = my latest trip. Not too much changed, I gotta admit.

Good luck to your friend.

#8 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,495
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.