Photo: Cycling the backblocks of Thonburi.

Cycling in Asia forum

garmin maps

Posted by barrylad66 on 13/11/2009 at 16:20

hi all
is it possible too get maps for the garmin gps for the areas in s e asia?
many thanks
barrylad

#1 barrylad66 has been a member since 9/3/2008. Posts: 44

Posted by Tilapia on 13/11/2009 at 21:29

There is a pre-loaded card you can get for Southeast Asia. Take a look here ...

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/buymaps.do

I use the Southeast Asia NT map, but it's not comprehensive for all of SEA. You cannot load it onto your computer, and it cannot be updated, but it's coverage is terrific for Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Hong Kong, Indonesia and Macau. I use it in my eTrex Vista HCx.

It was excellent for all big cities, including the alleyways of Bangkok. It made cycling around Bangkok a breeze, even in the dark. I found that it contained cart pathways, and all minor roads, paved or dirt, in every Thai town, village, and out in the countryside. It was excellent for getting off the main roads (and getting back onto them.) It was also handy for finding places to stay, bus stations, ATMs, markets, etc. Obviously, in most areas over there, one doesn't need a GPS to find a place to eat, but it covers restaurants and even some stalls.

There may have been some updates since I got mine. There is also a world map, but from the example on their website it does not appear to be very detailed. Maybe someone else has better info than I do.

Cheers

#2 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,508
 Send Tilapia a private message   Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by barrylad66 on 15/11/2009 at 17:21

thanks tilapia,
just checked the website and have seen the said card.
thanks for the info
adrian

#3 barrylad66 has been a member since 9/3/2008. Posts: 44

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.