Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

Dollars in Vietnam

Posted by Indoluso on 6/6/2010 at 17:32

Hi,

Can one get dollars in Vietnam? Can one change travellers cheques in half dong/half dollar, or take dollars fro ATMs as in Cambodia?
Or is it best to take dollars from home? Coming from Europe I don't know if I won't lose more getting dollars at home...

Thanks alot for your advices!

#1 Indoluso has been a member since 22/12/2009. Posts: 133

Posted by somtam2000 on 7/6/2010 at 09:20 admin

Ahhh good question and I'm not sure of the answer. I know in Thailand if you have USD cheques and want to change them into USD cash, you have to convert to Thai Baht forst (and so wear two sets of commissions), but I'm not sure if that is also the case in Vietnam.

ATMs in Vietnam dispense only Vietnam dong.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,568
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by SBE on 7/6/2010 at 13:53

Hi Indoluso.

I was quite surprised nobody answered your other question about euros and dollars a couple of days ago.

https://www.travelfish.org/board/post/financemoney/10784_euros-dolars

I didn't try and answer because I've never been to Vietnam and it's a long time since I was in Laos so I couldn't remember if I'd changed euros into dollars beforehand or not.

I've a feeling I just took euros in cash though (There were no ATMs back then). I've never had much problem changing euros anywhere else in SE Asia, even in Burma. If it were me I'd just take Euros in cash and a credit card but maybe someone who actually knows for sure will see your question now!

#3 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,019
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by Indoluso on 7/6/2010 at 14:49

Hi!

Thanks alot for your answers! Perhaps I'll take a little dollar back-up in case euros won't do in some place.

Cheers!

#4 Indoluso has been a member since 22/12/2009. Posts: 133

Posted by SBE on 11/6/2010 at 00:57

Yes it's a good idea to take some dollars with you as a back up, especially if you're buying visas in SE Asia because they are nearly always payable in dollars.

#5 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,019
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by busylizzy on 11/6/2010 at 03:47

Yes, you can get dollars in Vietnam if you go to a bank and use your credit card to withdraw it.

I went online beforehand and transferred money from my savings account to my credit card to avoid the immediate interest charges. Then went to the bank, handed over my credit card, showed my passport and walked away with US$. I did this twice, once in Danang, and again in HCMC without a problem. This is a good way to get a significant amount of cash, too, without having the same sort of limits placed by ATM's.

I always carry some US$. I keep a small amount (say $100 in 5 x $20 notes) tucked away for emergencies (eg running out of cash where there are no ATM's) and larger notes for the items that SBE mentioned (Visa's, etc).

#6 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by SBE on 11/6/2010 at 15:27

Actually I wouldn't take any denomination larger than a 20 because more often than not people don't have change even when you're getting a visa so they'll give you your change in local currency (at a bad rate naturally).
Take $5 and $1 notes too so that you have the exact change.

$100 in cash should be heaps unless there are things in Vietnam and Laos that you HAVE to pay in dollars rather than local currency. For example, entry fees to major "must see" sites like Angkhor Wat and Bagan are payable in dollars, and Angkhor Wat costs $45 for 3 days if I remember right. Otherwise you can just change Euros directly into local currency without losing money by changing into dollars first.

#7 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,019
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by Indoluso on 11/6/2010 at 16:21

Great info SBE & busylizzy, perfect!

Thanks alot!

#8 Indoluso has been a member since 22/12/2009. Posts: 133

Posted by errik on 3/12/2010 at 17:33

Great info indeed.

#9 errik has been a member since 28/10/2010. Posts: 28

Posted by joeaddison79 on 5/1/2011 at 02:11

You can get USD at a bank with your passport. You can probably get it on the street too, but it can be complicated. You will end up getting a bad rate at a bank.

You can also get VND from an ATM if you pay 20 or 30,000 Dong withdraw fee and an international transaction fee.

#10 joeaddison79 has been a member since 5/1/2011. Posts: 7

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.