Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

£1800 for s.east asia in october- december?

Posted by newbiedanielle on 5/8/2010 at 05:15

Hi, I'm Danielle and I'm going backpacking solo this year for the first time. My travels beforehand have been limited to Europe, so I'm both terrified and excited!

I'm going to visit a friend who is working in S.Korea and leaving there on 4th October. I was planning to do Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand-flying back to England from Bangkok some time in December. However I think I will have about £1800 once I've paid for my flights- is this stretching it a bit thin? It works out to about £20 or $31 per day. This would have to include accomodation (I don't mind basic but would like it to be bearable), food (I want to eat from street sellers etc a lot of the time to try some new things) and transport- buses/trains, don't think I'll be able to afford many flights. As for day trips, I would like to do a cooking course in Thailand, maybe go elephant treking and sailing one day but its not essential.

Would you suggest I eliminate one country and go back there in the future to explore with a bit more money. I was thinking to remove Vietnam as I would like to do an easyriders tour when I'm there and that would remove a big chunk of my budget. If so, is Cambodia a good place to start, then up into Laos and down through Thailand?

Thanks very much, any views are appreciated.

#1 newbiedanielle has been a member since 5/8/2010. Posts: 13

Posted by somtam2000 on 5/8/2010 at 05:32 admin

I'd be inclined to drop one country if only to slow down your pace of travel. You'll be able to get by on the budget you mention, but expect to be down at the lower end of the accommodation scale. Vietnam is the obvious candidate to "save for another day". If you were to do that, you could fly from Korean to Bangkok and then do a loop through the three countries.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.