Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

Pre-paid cards

Posted by lanamike on 5/8/2010 at 18:27

Hey

Just wondering has anyone used a pre-paid card I was looking at fairfx? Seems like a good idea?

#1 lanamike has been a member since 1/5/2010. Posts: 9

Posted by bradmcfc81 on 8/8/2010 at 04:04

My girlfriend and i have just got the Fairfx cards. Definitely a good idea to get one, and its a very simple online process.

#2 bradmcfc81 has been a member since 21/6/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 27

Posted by lanamike on 8/8/2010 at 07:19

Thanks for your reply bradmcfc81 think well apply looks good

#3 lanamike has been a member since 1/5/2010. Posts: 9

Posted by somtam2000 on 8/8/2010 at 09:11 admin

I guess I can see an advantage if you're travelling to the US or to an EU-denominated country, but otherwise you're still going to be dealing with currency fluctuations.

10 quid for the card and US$2 per ATM withdrawl - they refer to the termms and conditions for the "detailed information regarding fees" but I can't actually find those T&C anywhere on the site.

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,707
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by lanamike on 9/8/2010 at 02:33

Hey Somtam2000

Its seems to say that you only pay $2 for atm withdrawals and the exchange rate changes daily. The exchange rate is just displayed on the front page http://www.fairfx.com/ seems to be quite good for exchange rates although they change daily so strike while the irons hot to get best rates nd value for money. it seems to have the most competitive exchange rates compared to hsbc and other leading companies. take a look and get back to me on your thoughts. cheers guys.

#5 lanamike has been a member since 1/5/2010. Posts: 9

Posted by bradmcfc81 on 9/8/2010 at 06:36

Hi Somtam, the £10 fee is wavered if you get the card through Martin Lewis' Money Saving Expert website... http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ . My girlfriend and i got our cards via that site, as we were both planning on using our Nationwide accounts when we go to South East Asia for 6 months in September. Since the announcement that the fees would go up on the Nationwide accounts in November, we've decided to use the Fairfx cards instead.

#6 bradmcfc81 has been a member since 21/6/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 27

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.