Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

Booze and other stuff.

Posted by humpdawg on 5/9/2010 at 23:12

Hi all.

Heading back over to SE Asia in November with the girlfriend and just want to get an idea of some costs for our budget. We'll be going to Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam.

Large or small beer from traveller restaurant/bar/shop
Vodka/whiskey bucket
Bottle of vodka/sangsom
Rice/noodle dish
Average beach hut accomodation - nothing fancy like aircon
City guesthouse - again nothing fancy
Train/boat ticket from Bangkok to Ko Phangan

Cheers.

#1 humpdawg has been a member since 18/5/2009. Posts: 40

Posted by travellingsarah on 6/9/2010 at 14:25 TF writer

Posted from within Vietnam.

Are you looking for costs for all countries? I'll just comment on a couple of specific prices in Vietnam as I'm sure others will be more up to date on prices elseswhere.

Large or small beer from traveller restaurant/bar/shop - Small bottle of local beer around $1, large bottle about $1.50, large draft around $2. Cans are about 50c from a shop.
Vodka/whiskey bucket - can't be too specific here as I live in Hanoi and have never seen buckets being sold! But in Mui Ne we paid around $8-10.
Bottle of vodka/sangsom - Vodka Hanoi is about $2.50 for a 75cl bottle and around $1.50 for a small bottle
Rice/noodle dish - on the street, between 75cents and $1.50. In a cheap basic restaurant around $1.50 - $2.
Average beach hut accomodation - nothing fancy like aircon - I've only seen beach hut type places in Mui Ne and they were about $10.
City guesthouse - again nothing fancy - it so depends on your requirements. I'd say you can get something reasonable for $15 but you can also get cheaper, basic, places and for a little bit more can get a lot for your money.

Overall, when travelling last year, we stayed in reasonable places, ate well and drank a lot of beer and spent around $50-60 between the two of us per day in each of the countries you list (definitely the lower end of that spectrum Laos and higher in Cambodia - but we only went to PP and SR).

#2 travellingsarah has been a member since 23/3/2010. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 681
 Send travellingsarah a private message   Where has travellingsarah been?   Website 

Posted by humpdawg on 7/9/2010 at 02:32

Thanks alot Sarah, thats what I was looking for. $2.50 a bottle of vodka - dangerous! I hear those bia hoi places are really cheap too.

If anyone has any other info on the other countries that would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

#3 humpdawg has been a member since 18/5/2009. Posts: 40

Posted by travellingsarah on 7/9/2010 at 11:50 TF writer

Posted from within Vietnam.

That's from a shop or a local street place - it'd be more in a karaoke bar or somewhere like that. Yup bia hoi is around 4,000 VND a glass (20 cents). You can get a lot of those for your daily budget!

#4 travellingsarah has been a member since 23/3/2010. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 681
 Send travellingsarah a private message   Where has travellingsarah been?   Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.