Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

Is USD still best currency for south east asia?

Posted by siddy on 22/10/2010 at 06:33

Traditionally, walking around with $1 USD's was ideal, but with the Baht and other currencies regaining strength much faster than the USD, is that still the case? Surly the USD prices for things in Thailand etc have been jacked up in the last 6months?

Im converting from AUD, should I still get USD's or baht, dong etc?
(wanted to spend in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam)

#1 siddy has been a member since 16/10/2010. Posts: 21

Posted by neosho on 22/10/2010 at 08:07

Prices are the same, it's just you don't get as many baht for the dollar when you convert. Thailand is trying to keep the baht down but how successful they will be is yet to be known. Isn't the AUD on parity with the USD now. Being from the US , it's killing me. Bush and company's legacy.

#2 neosho has been a member since 13/8/2008. Posts: 386

Posted by travellingsarah on 22/10/2010 at 09:34 TF writer

Posted from within Vietnam.

In Vietnam you can usually easily pay for hotels, tours and more expensive meals in USD but you'll find Dong are more convenient for day-to-day transactions - and some places e.g. the train station, don't take USD. I doubt you'd get a Pho stall owner accepting $1 for your pho either! At the moment the USD is slightly stronger against the Dong than it has been - so in theory USD are better - but that's no guarantee that the merchant you're buying off will quote at the correct rate!

I'm was an ATM traveller so I just got local cash out wherever I was so this
was never really a consideration - but are you thinking of travellers cheques? I assume you aren't planning on carrying heaps of cash around with you.

#3 travellingsarah has been a member since 23/3/2010. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 681
 Send travellingsarah a private message   Where has travellingsarah been?   Website 

Posted by siddy on 22/10/2010 at 17:58

Thanks for the replies!

Regarding carrying cash - i get a lot of different advice from different people.
Ideally just using a card would be great, but i dont want to get caught out - maybe crossing boarders etc.

#4 siddy has been a member since 16/10/2010. Posts: 21

Posted by Indoluso on 22/10/2010 at 23:40

In Vietnam I'd say deffinetly dong plus some dollars as backup as 1 dollar is about 19000 dong and there's so much you can buy with that. Not as in Cambodia or Laos where there isn't that much you can buy with less than a dollar/half a dollar.

#5 Indoluso has been a member since 22/12/2009. Posts: 133

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.