Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

NZers - Why use a credit card in Thailand?

Posted by danceswithrose on 28/12/2010 at 15:57

I have been in Thailand for 3 months so far and have never needed a credit card. As long as you have access to internet banking you can get a debit (visa) card and transfer money from your accounts into that. Then you just need to go to an ATM and take the money out.

Your bank will charge you $6NZ (plus conversion and some other small fee) and you are charged a fee this end 150BHT. I take out 20,000 BHT at a time so its as cheap as chips!!

The beauty of this debit card is also that if it is stolen, people can only spend what you have on the debit card, they can't get into your other accounts. I only leave a few dollars on it.

Dont forget to use your credit card every 3 months tho as the bank will charge you a non-use fee. Hope this helps any fellow NZers planning to come over here.

#1 danceswithrose has been a member since 12/10/2010. Posts: 20
 Send danceswithrose a private message 

Posted by busylizzy on 28/12/2010 at 16:52

"Dont forget to use your credit card every 3 months tho as the bank will charge you a non-use fee. "

Which bank in NZ does that - that's news to me! It would be enough to make me change banks. Mind you, I don't think I have ever gone that long without using it....

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.