Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

question about the condition of US bills

Posted by ratyoke on 10/1/2011 at 17:36

Hi everyone this is my first post. I'm going to Thailand tomorrow, and then Cambodia probably next week. I read that in Cambodia if there are any marks or tears in a US bill no one will accept it. This is ALL bills? Even one dollar bills, or just larger bills? From what I have read it seems that its all bills that must be new.

My main question is what about folds? I like to fold my money and half and put it in my front pocket. Am I going to be "ruining" all my money if I do that? I didn't want to bring a wallet cause its bulky, uncomfortable in a front pocket and too easy for pickpockets if its in my back pocket.

Does baht have to be in perfect condition to be accepted too?

Does anyone know the reason only new looking money is accepted?

Thank you. This is my first time traveling to S.E. asia and this site is a great resource.

#1 ratyoke has been a member since 6/12/2010. Location: United States. Posts: 4
 Send ratyoke a private message 

Posted by neosho on 10/1/2011 at 18:37

The only time I have had my dollars rejected was in China, and it was at an airport in the northeast. They ran them through a machine and it rejected them. I had withdrew them at the bank at home and had them checked to make sure they weren't couterfiet. Everywhere else I have went I have not had a problem. I would not bring torn or dollars missing corners etc here. Just to be safe. Hope this helps.

#2 neosho has been a member since 13/8/2008. Posts: 386

Posted by SBE on 10/1/2011 at 20:03

AFAIK the only country in SE Asia where they are REALLY picky about the condition of US dollar bills is Myanmar/Burma. A new $20 bill that I'd folded was refused by a money changer (but subsequently accepted by a Guesthouse owner) when I was there recently.

I can't remember having any problems with creased notes when I was in Cambodia, but it was a long time ago. Like Neosho says, just avoid taking bills that are very old or torn and you should be OK. Probably best to avoid bring ones that have been written on in ink as well.
Thai money changers don't seem to worry too much about the condition of notes so you could get rid of the less good-looking specimens there. Thai notes are usually in fairly good shape, if not, just ask for newer ones when you're changing money.

#3 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,037
 Send SBE a private message   Where has SBE been? 

Posted by busylizzy on 11/1/2011 at 02:21

I had some issues with an older-style $100 notes in Cambodia - so make sure you get the most recent ones.

I don't think you will have a problem with a fold line - just avoid the old, ragged, torn, written on ones - as per advice above.

#4 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by Rasheeed on 23/1/2011 at 11:41

Well, here in Cambodia you need to be careful with your dollars. 100s and 50s especially are very scrutinized. A very small tear in a 20 is enough to get it rejected. 10s and smaller are usually taken in worse condition but not always.

If you are given dollars that you think might not be taken elsewhere, you can give it back and request a better one. It is common practice here in Cambodia and not looked down upon.

'sheeed

#5 Rasheeed has been a member since 4/11/2010. Location: Cambodia. Posts: 311
 Send Rasheeed a private message   Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.