Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

Budget concerns!

Posted by chicoelnino on 21/1/2011 at 01:38

Myself and my girlfriend will be spending just under 7 months in SE asia (Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and Indonesia) which is 27 weeks in total.

We will have €12,000 to live on over there for that duration. This works out at €444 per week(£375) or €63 per day(£53)

Are we cutting this a little thin? We don't drink alot...maybe once every 2 weeks. We don't mind staying in backpackers places as long as we have our own private room, but we would like to do some sights etc.

I know some day we will not spend our daily budget and other days will go over it, but in general it will even out.

I would just like to be sure that we will have enough to be able to get along nicely for the duration of our trip?

Any help will be much appreciated folks.

#1 chicoelnino has been a member since 17/9/2010. Posts: 66
 Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by sholafish on 23/1/2011 at 07:27

Me and my girlfriend are budgeting on 25 pounds a day each so pretty much the same. This seems perfectly possible in vietnam and cambodia, perhaps less easy in Bangkok, but then in Laos, (and northern Thailand), it seems to be particularly cheap so you can even it up there. I think your budget will probably end up being spot on, at least I hope so as it's the same budget as mine!

#2 sholafish has been a member since 20/12/2010. Posts: 22
 Send sholafish a private message 

Posted by eastwest on 23/1/2011 at 10:41

That looks fine.

In general a hotel room like that is roughly $10 and food (+water and soft drinks) around $10 each.
That will leave you with $50 per day to cover travel, excursions, visa and so on. During 7 months you won't be on the move everytime so you'll save money during times you stay put in a place for some time.
As mentioned above prices vary from place to place so pick a good spot to "save up" if your spending gets out of hand.

#3 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778
 Send eastwest a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.