Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

Using ATM's in SouthEast Asia.

Posted by potta_boro on 27/6/2011 at 21:54

Just a quick one, ive been looking through different websites trying to find the best/cheapest card to use (england) whilst travelling with no luck! i dont really want to use credit cards or travellers cheques, so a bit of help would be nice, as its starting to annoy me. My bank Halifax have told me not to use my debit card because they charge a fortune for overseas cash withdrawals. Thanks

#1 potta_boro has been a member since 3/5/2011. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 56
 Send potta_boro a private message   Twitter 

Posted by hannahben on 27/6/2011 at 22:25

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi there. We take out our money on a weekly basis as to not lose 2 much incase it goes "missing". Most banks we have used charge around $2 for a transaction. But then our bank will also take a charge for using card overseas. This is uusually around £3 we bank with llyods and this was a issue we overlooked before we came away. We met another English couple who said that there bank doesn't charge but I can't remember who it was. There are ones that don't charge. Just keep looking. But u will definately get a charge for using out here. Hope this helps

#2 hannahben has been a member since 24/6/2011. Posts: 12

Posted by potta_boro on 27/6/2011 at 22:27

My current bank will charge me a fee for the transaction then on top of that they will charge a percentage on the amount i take out! I was hoping there was some type of card out there that doesnt charge all of this.

#3 potta_boro has been a member since 3/5/2011. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 56
 Send potta_boro a private message   Twitter 

Posted by goonistik on 28/6/2011 at 10:09

Potta_boro,

Have you looked at this?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/8444764/Foreign-currency-Make-your-holiday-money-go-further.html

#4 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 563
 Send goonistik a private message   Where has goonistik been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.