Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

AUD $4000 spending?

Posted by bcp2004 on 20/4/2012 at 23:16

Hi,
I am leaving for southeast Asia with a mate around Christmas (i know its early but i want to be organised). I am traveling to Indonesia - Thailand - Vietnam - Cambodia (hopefully) - Loas, the trip should take around 65 days. I was wondering how much i should budget? i am thinking around $4000; $60 a day, will this cover food accommodation and a fair few drinks - not including flights? I am a bit sketchy about the accommodation, will $20 each, so $40 get me and my mate decent accommodation in all these countries?

#1 bcp2004 has been a member since 20/4/2012. Posts: 3

Posted by eastwest on 20/4/2012 at 23:44

That depends a lot on your personal preferences and description of decent.

A basic clean room with air conditioning and private bath can be found for $10-20 in the region but it usually lacks any charm. For $40 you can have a nice room with tasteful decorations in a good place with usually good service.
Bear in mind that many places do raise their prices for Xmas.

Beers are in general $1 each. Don't know how many you normally drink.

In 65 days (and that itinerary) you'll probably take a few flights in SEA and I hope those internal flights are included. Otherwise your budget will shoot up.

If you're two blokes looking for a good time and don't care too much about fine food and luxurious rooms your budget is fine.
If you're looking for the finer things SEA has to offer it might be a little tight but doable.

#2 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778
 Send eastwest a private message 

Posted by bcp2004 on 21/4/2012 at 01:07

Thanks for the reply, i've excluded the flights so the 4000 is purely spending. Yeah i will be drinking quite a few drinks so I'm glad that their only $1. I will be doing most of the touristy things of course, but nothing to heavy on the pocket. Also, i was thinking about adding Cambodia, I've heard its quite cheap also, would anyone recommend it?

#3 bcp2004 has been a member since 20/4/2012. Posts: 3

Posted by eastwest on 21/4/2012 at 01:57

If you want to do the regular touristy things you should visit Angkor and Phnom Penh. Both places also have good bars for your drinks.
Price wise I'd say Cambodia is the same as surrounding countries. A few things are a bit more expensive but nothing that will make a serious dent in a budget such as yours.

#4 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778
 Send eastwest a private message 

Posted by bcp2004 on 21/4/2012 at 02:09

cheers heaps mate, you've been really helpful

#5 bcp2004 has been a member since 20/4/2012. Posts: 3

Posted by dene_aus on 21/4/2012 at 08:01

Yep 4000 is easily enough, I had about the same budget for a similar trip in 2010!

#6 dene_aus has been a member since 3/5/2010. Posts: 16
 Send dene_aus a private message 

Posted by TassieWombat on 24/4/2012 at 15:43

You might even be able to buy a few "pressies" on that budget :-). As eastwest said if you arn't greatly worried about "charm" you can get good enough accommodation for $10-$20. And don't book ahead without sound recommendation .. there are always cheaper places when you get there.

#7 TassieWombat has been a member since 6/4/2012. Location: Australia. Posts: 44
 Send TassieWombat a private message   Flickr  

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.