Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

Change Euros to US$ now?

Posted by billytheliar on 26/5/2012 at 06:13

Should I change my Euros to US dollars now? Planning a trip Oct.-Nov.to SE Asia, and not quite sure how it
will be then (exchange rates). As everything I read is quoted in US dollars, I don΄t necessarily want to
travel on a budget 20% (or 30%) lower than originally calculated. Any suggestions?

#1 billytheliar has been a member since 3/4/2012. Posts: 48
 Where has billytheliar been? 

Posted by altmtl on 26/5/2012 at 07:52

You should have a small amount of US$ for emergencies, but I'm not sure I understand your concern, all countries use their own local currencies, Cambodia is another story.

Use your ATM card when you arrive, just make you know about the fees your bank charges you - In Thailand all banks charge 150 baht fee except for aeon.

#2 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 995
 Send altmtl a private message   Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by goonistik on 26/5/2012 at 08:09

In many countries you will be able to convert your euros to the local currency, esp in the bigger cities. As altmtl suggests have a small amount for emergencies.

#3 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 563
 Send goonistik a private message   Where has goonistik been? 

Posted by altmtl on 26/5/2012 at 08:17

I brought Canadian cash and changed it in BK - no problem.

#4 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 995

Posted by MADMAC on 26/5/2012 at 08:48

Well, I suspect the OPs concern is that the Euro is going to lose significant value in overseas trading soon - reason being the crisis in Greece and potential crises in Spain, Italy and Ireland.

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by billytheliar on 26/5/2012 at 10:53

Sorry that I didn't makeit clearer.
Mac, you are right, thisis exactly what I fear. I can buy let's say 2000 US$ for 1600 Eur.today, but I was wondering if it would cost me much more in a coupleof months.
-almtl ATM card is OK, butI am not sure my bank will still be in business in Oct. (you see, I'mgreek)
Thanks anyway for yourtime!

#6 billytheliar has been a member since 3/4/2012. Posts: 48
 Where has billytheliar been? 

Posted by altmtl on 26/5/2012 at 19:48

I read today that there was a rush on the banks in Greece, people are withdrawing all their savings, stashing it at home, then getting robbed :(

It's a tough call. I assume you'll get a not so good rate for changing your Euros for US$, then there's the rate of changing it back to local currency... but at least you have the foresight to think of this. Good for you.

#7 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 995

Posted by goonistik on 26/5/2012 at 21:00

Sorry I didn't understand your first post.

In your situation, I would look at Australian dollars as your main hedge. The Australian economy is expected to grow by 2.7% so the currency should be stable and the economy isn't that dependent on trading with Europe.

This is just a quick analysis. I haven't really looked at things in depth.

#8 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 563
 Send goonistik a private message   Where has goonistik been? 

Posted by altmtl on 26/5/2012 at 21:12

I wouldn't suggest aussie $ myself, US cash when travelling is much easier to change.

#9 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 995

Posted by MADMAC on 27/5/2012 at 00:58

Or if you are locked in to where you are going, you can simply get that currency now.

#10 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.