Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

Budget for ten weeks

Posted by cat723 on 16/8/2012 at 02:44

Hi,

I'm going to be traveling around South East Asia for ten weeks beginning late September and I'm just trying to sort out my budget and hidden costs.

I have my flights to and from Thailand and my travel insurance already covered.
I have not booked any internal travel as hope to do this mainly by land as budget as possible when I am there, and will book budget accom my whole way through.

I do however want to go to Myanmar and know that I can only enter via air. I'm not planning on doing tours constantly, and maybe for a week or so, enjoying island life in Thailand before adventuring out - perhaps doing a dive course on Koh Chang.. I think these 2 things will eat my money the most. I will eat lots of street food but will occasionally eat at nicer restaurants and drink alcohol out.

I've budgeted that I will have $7K USD for my time... do you think this is a sensible amount including potential dive course and trip to Myanmar?
Budget advice from people who have spent time in SE Asia would be appreciated!

Thanks - Cat!

#1 cat723 has been a member since 14/8/2012. Posts: 1

Posted by chinarocks on 16/8/2012 at 03:19

I don't dive but $700 per week on average is absolutely more than enough. For arguments sake, you could conceivably get by (albeit by roughing it a bit) on that amount per month.

Your flight to Myanmar should not cost that much, with Air Asia.

#2 chinarocks has been a member since 17/6/2011. Posts: 738

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.