Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

GBP Budget for SE Asia

Posted by Walshyr32 on 21/9/2012 at 10:16

Hi all,

Newbie here looking for some help. After 10 years in the Army and 4 years in the London rat race I really am set on taking some time out to see some of the world from a different perspective than I have whilst serving in the military. To cut a long story short I have a guaranteed income of £750 per month. I am already starting to seriously consider a year out and with planning time I reckon I could have around 6k (gbp) in savings by the time I am ready to head off. My question is, would my £750 per month allow me to travel around SE Asia? As a former 'squaddie' I'm more than comfortable roughing it but would also like to learn to dive, go to a Muay Thai school and do some island hopping.

I would love to visit Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos and possibly onto India.

Any advice you can give would be a great help.

Thanks in advance

Mark

#1 Walshyr32 has been a member since 21/9/2012. Posts: 3

Posted by daawgon on 21/9/2012 at 12:29

You might be able to get by with 750 in most of SE Asia, but you'd need a little more in the big cities of Bangkok, Hanoi and Saigon. I'm not sure about India - just never been there yet.

Like everywhere, inflation lives in Asia too.

#2 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,133
 Send daawgon a private message 

Posted by Walshyr32 on 22/9/2012 at 03:59

Thanks for the info, like I said I will have savings and would be utilising the £750 to top these up as I go along. Big cities don't excite me much and although I will be visiting them I don't plan on hanging around them for long.

Cheers

Mark

#3 Walshyr32 has been a member since 21/9/2012. Posts: 3

Posted by tyler on 22/9/2012 at 08:14

Your budget works out to be roughly $40us/day. If you are willing to tap into the savings for your dive course, muay thai and any flights you might take along the way you should have plenty. I think a hostel/dorm room will run you anywhere from 5 - 12$us a night and 10 - 20$us for 3 meals/day (yeah - you can get cheaper food but if you don't want to eat off of a stick for a year...).
Can't help you with India either.

#4 tyler has been a member since 7/12/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 257
 Send tyler a private message   Where has tyler been? 

Posted by Walshyr32 on 23/9/2012 at 05:23

Thanks Tyler,

Your response is much appreciated. I want to go away for as long as possible but a year at least, after reading so many threads on budgets I thought it easier just to start another one relevant to my own circumstances. More than happy to use my savings to pay for the extras as my income will hopefully top these back up as I go along.

Rgds

mark

#5 Walshyr32 has been a member since 21/9/2012. Posts: 3

Posted by waytogo on 27/11/2012 at 13:10

750 is enough in all those places. I'm planning a long trip in SEA too and I will try not to spend more than 600 a month, travel excluded. I stay in the cheapest decent places (bungalows, hostel rooms with shared bathrooms, etc), and I don't really drink or buy stuff.

In India you're literally wealthy.

#6 waytogo has been a member since 1/12/2011. Posts: 25
 Send waytogo a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.