Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

Travelling ALL of Asia - how much should I save?

Posted by Domesticated on 14/11/2012 at 17:38

Hey everyone,
This question might sound totally superficial and maybe a lot of people have asked it before, but I am standing right at the beginning of my travel planning and I am planning on leaving home (which is in Austria) in 2014, 2015 the latest, so I didn't really do so much research about the topic yet, especially because I haven't finished with my current adventure yet :D
Anyway my plan is to travel ALL of Asia. I would leave from Moscow, get over there via Transmongolian Railroad and then just travel everything, in a time of 1-1,5 years. I would like to spend enough time to see the main sights in every country (I'd love to stay for the details too, but this would take me forever I guess). I am also considering of going to Australia and New Zealand right afterwards and extend my travel time to like 2 years, depending on my financial situation then.
Anyway, my question is how much money should I plan on saving for my Asia trip? Approximately? Including everything (travel costs, food, accomodation, insurance, visa e.g.)
If anyone has traveled to Australia/New Zealand afterwards I'll be glad on advice too :)
Thx a lot :)

#1 Domesticated has been a member since 14/11/2012. Posts: 1

Posted by neosho on 15/11/2012 at 02:32

With a 1 to 2 year timeline before you ever leave may I suggest you do some research on this site and come back with more specific questions and information about yourself and interests. You will be more apt to get answers.

#2 neosho has been a member since 13/8/2008. Posts: 386

Posted by chinarocks on 15/11/2012 at 09:42

Notwithstanding the vagueness of your question I will try and answer you from my own experiences.

I travelled through China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand and Malaysia. €800 - €1,000 per month was what I found to be an adequate amount.

If you are looking to travel for 18 months, then including flights and visas you may want to aim to have €20k - €25k.

All of this advice comes with a large health warning however, as every individual will differ.

#3 chinarocks has been a member since 17/6/2011. Posts: 738

Posted by goonistik on 15/11/2012 at 20:39

The cost of travel in the developed Asian countries like Japan and Korea are much higher than in the developing countries. You are looking at a daily budget of $80+
In the developing countries like Laos, $20-30/day is feasible. Bhutan is a special case. The Bhutanese government is promoting low-impact, high value tourism and the costs are more like $200/day.

#4 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 562
 Send goonistik a private message   Where has goonistik been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.