Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

ATMs in Laos

Posted by smartso on 1/7/2008 at 21:10

I know this was up for a little debate before I left so I figured I'd post my findings (I'm sorry if it's a double post, I haven't been on the forums since I departed for my trip). I was in Laos just over 2 weeks ago and I can confirm that there are ATMs in:

Luang Prabang
Vang Vieng
Vientiane
Savannakhet

I was also told there are working ATMs in Pakse by fellow travelers but I didn't seem them with my own eyes. All of the ATMs accepted my Canadian debit card no problem. There is still the 700 000 kip limit per transaction but you can do multiple daily transactions if need be. It is always best to pull money out earlier in the day rather than later. If you arrive and the ATM says it is not working odds are it is because it has run out of money, try again the next day. Hope this helps :)

#1 smartso has been a member since 11/4/2008. Posts: 13

Posted by gmarx on 7/8/2008 at 17:50

Does that mean the Laos ATMs dispense Kip or do they also dispense US$ (like in Cambodia)?

#2 gmarx has been a member since 1/8/2008. Posts: 3

Posted by exacto on 8/8/2008 at 07:21

the last time I was in Laos the ATMs dispensed only kip (although that is starting to be awhile ago now). us dollars are accepted in some tourist places in Laos, and your credit card purchases will also likely clear in US dollars, but it isn't like in Cambodia where dollars are the major currency. kip it is. be sure to spend 'em before you leave the country too. regards.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,685
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by cactusjoe on 22/9/2008 at 10:19

I undertsood that usd was the currency of choice
except for tips etc. However I am a canuck too so glad to hear about the atms

#4 cactusjoe has been a member since 21/9/2008. Posts: 7

Posted by JJcookie on 29/9/2008 at 19:48

I had always heard ATM has the best exchange rate, but I took out 100,000 kip from the LP airport ATM and Bank of America took out $14.06 from my account, not to mention a $5 fee. this is a worse rate than the money changer in town. Just fyi.

#5 JJcookie has been a member since 6/9/2008. Posts: 6

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.