Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

Using Thai Baht in Luang Prabang

Posted by TonyL on 4/7/2008 at 10:29

Has anybody had recent experience of using baht in LP ? Were they easy to use in better restaurants and was the exchange rate reasonably equitable - say 31 baht to a US$1 approx.
I will be in Thailand before Laos and expect to have quite a few baht left over because of having to change fairly high denomination Travellers Cheques there. Rather than change baht back to $US or kip life would be much easier if I could simply use my excess baht in Luang Prabang. Last time I was there it was quite possible but, with the Thai economic situation and the $US in free fall, are baht still welcome. Your advice please.

#1 TonyL has been a member since 19/12/2006. Posts: 46

Posted by smartso on 4/7/2008 at 14:18

Using baht for good chunks of Laos wasn't a big problem. For the most part you got the standard drop the 000s and multiply by 4 conversion rate from what I experienced. Ie. 10000 kip = 10*4= 40 baht.

#2 smartso has been a member since 11/4/2008. Posts: 13

Posted by TonyL on 5/7/2008 at 11:52

Thanks for that info. There is a bit of a loss over direct use of the $US but the convenience makes up for that.

#3 TonyL has been a member since 19/12/2006. Posts: 46

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.