Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

Wiing Money from U.S.A. to somene in Chiang Mia

Posted by rgdtynan1 on 3/12/2008 at 05:36

My son is living in Chiang Mia, I want to know what or how to send him money from the U.S.A

#1 rgdtynan1 has been a member since 2/12/2008. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 3/12/2008 at 07:47 admin

Does he have a local bank account? If he does then it should be straightforward to wire money into it -- otherwise Western Union is the easiest means to wire money, but it does cost a bit.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,943
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code

Posted by exacto on 3/12/2008 at 10:43

If your son has a bank account in the U.S.A. with an ATM card that works overseas, you could just deposit money into his account and have him use the ATM card to withdraw it in local currency in Chiang Mai. There are usually small currency exchange and ATM fees associated with this, but nothing like what you'll pay to do a wire transfer by Western Union or through a bank.

A similar option, if he doesn't have an ATM card handy, is to open an account, get an ATM card (with a 4-digit pin code), and then mail the ATM card to him. You might want to send the card by UPS or some other registered means, and then send him the pin code after he has safely received the card. Once he has it, he can withdraw funds same as above.

If he has a credit card, perhaps he could go to a bank and get a cash advance, and you could cover the credit card bill. That might be expensive, however, but quick if time is an issue.

If all that is too much of a hassle, then Western Union, just like Somtam says. Hope that helps. Cheers.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,764
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.