Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

US$ vs. local currency

Posted by daflj on 8/12/2008 at 15:49

Hi,
another quick question for the assembled brains.
I know that in Cambodia/Laos/Vietnam the US$ will be charged for many transactions.

Do I need to take all the dollars I'll need while I'm there in cash? If I take dollar TCs will I be able to exchange them in banks/booths for dollars or only for local currency?

Presumably ATMs will only dispense local currency?

#1 daflj has been a member since 28/8/2008. Posts: 32

Posted by idreamofdurian on 8/12/2008 at 23:15 TF writer

Prices are often quoted in US dollars just because it's easier than quoting some huge sounding price in the local currency. If the staff at a guesthouse says a room is $10 US, they'll always accept payment in the local currency, too (be sure to know the going exchange rate).

The ATMs I used in Cambodia dispensed US $$, but kip in Laos and dong in Vietnam. Some places will cash traveler's cheques or give credit card advances in US $$, too.

#2 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by fondo on 9/12/2008 at 08:30

In Cambodia, cash TCs for USD with approx 2% commission.

#3 fondo has been a member since 23/6/2006. Posts: 172
 Where has fondo been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.