Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

Exchanging Chinese RMB. What's the best solution?

Posted by adro48itly on 5/1/2009 at 21:40

Does anyone know if it's easy to exchange Chinese RMB in Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia, i.e. such as at airports (Vientiene) and banks, at border crossings? Should I exchange Chinese money into more dollars and/or Laos Kip before leaving China?
Can I use a Lloyds TSB debit card at most ATM machines?

Replies would be appreciated

#1 adro48itly has been a member since 5/1/2009. Posts: 3

Posted by jaraama on 8/4/2009 at 00:03

You can exchange RMB to Laos Kip in Nam Tha (just ask around on the main street, people will tell you where to go); in Luang Prabang, the exchange booth by the night market also exchange RMB to Kip.

#2 jaraama has been a member since 7/4/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by dageshi on 8/4/2009 at 09:44

Personally I would probably convert them in China to dollars. But if you are going to do that know that you can only do it legitimately at a Bank of China branch and you'll need your passport to do it.

And I have a Lloyds Debit card, it's worked no problem in Vietnam and Cambodia, I would presume there will be no problem in Laos. Anything with a Visa or mastercard sign on it is generally o.k.

#3 dageshi has been a member since 1/3/2008. Posts: 56

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.