Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

4300$ for three months for a firsttime backpacker?

Posted by SimonD on 4/2/2009 at 19:16

Hey guys :)

I'm leaving tomorrow for a three month trip to southeast Asia.
The plan is to fly to Bangkok, stay in Thailand (mostly north) for around 30 days, then Laos for approx. 15 days, then Vietnam 30 days and then Cambodia 15 days. I'm flying home from Bangkok.

I've never travelled for this long before, and I haven't travelled on my own before either, so it's been very hard for me to judge if I can make ends meet.

Most everything is taken care of already. I have a plane ticket, travel insurances, vaccinations etc., and a visa to Vietnam. All other visas I will need to buy at the border of the respecting country. I'm expecting to travel by land all the way around, by bus or trains or something like that.

Do you guys reckon that 4300$ is enough to do this?

#1 SimonD has been a member since 4/2/2009. Posts: 8

Posted by chrispyrolls on 4/2/2009 at 19:58

90 days in total gives you approx $47 a day ... that is plenty... you are rich infact compared to some travellers ... you will spot these people easily as they are moping around without a smile trying to haggle over something that costs $0.25 :)

you'll have a blast simon... go for it

#2 chrispyrolls has been a member since 2/11/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 198
 Send chrispyrolls a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by SimonD on 4/2/2009 at 20:05

Thanks! that's relieving to hear :) It's really hard to judge how much you'll spend when on the road that long.

It's tommorow, I'm soo pumped up for it :D

#3 SimonD has been a member since 4/2/2009. Posts: 8

Posted by exacto on 4/2/2009 at 22:44

It was my wife's first time in SEA on our last trip, so we budgeted (and spent) $75 a day between the two of us. That was definitely Flashpacker too, with stylish rooms, first class trains, and flying from CM to LP, for example. One place we did save money was by often eating where the locals eat. Great food and usually much less money than the more tourist-oriented places. But we at in those places too, because we were on the vacation of a lifetime and the whole point was to have fun. Like crispy says, you'll have a blast.

Let us know how your trip goes if you can please. It is always great to get new ideas and updates from people on the road. Regards.

#4 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,679
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by SimonD on 4/2/2009 at 23:59

Thanks a lot!

Sounds like it wont be a problem at all then :D

This is a great site and some great boards, I'll make sure to post every now and then!

#5 SimonD has been a member since 4/2/2009. Posts: 8

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.