Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

Cheap ways to call home?

Posted by SimonD on 5/2/2009 at 06:17

I was in India over christmas, and when I got home I had a 400$ phone bill waiting for me. Sure, you don't need to call your girlfriend everyday, and sure, it's not everytime you are going to India, that you get stuck in New Delhi for days, trying to book a new ticket via phone.
I learned that the hard way I guess.

That being said, I would really like to stay in touch with friends, family and girlfriends on my three month trip to Asia. But with danish companies prices, I'm desperate for an alternative.

So, is anyone here familiar with good cheap ways to call home? Home is in Europe, btw :)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

#1 SimonD has been a member since 4/2/2009. Posts: 8

Posted by SimonD on 5/2/2009 at 06:19

Sorry for double post, but it doesn't seem like you can edit, and I just wanted to clarify that I only have a single girlfriend to call :P

#2 SimonD has been a member since 4/2/2009. Posts: 8

Posted by swag on 5/2/2009 at 10:14

hi, you can buy cheap sim cards in most se asian countries then pre paid vouchers are readily available.for instance i use 12call in thailand and it costs me about $1 aud per minute to call australia.
regards

#3 swag has been a member since 28/3/2007. Location: Australia. Posts: 331
 Send swag a private message 

Posted by Lother on 5/2/2009 at 15:12

For Cambodia, a prepaid MFone SIM is the way to go. You only pay 25 US cents per minute for calling most countries overseas (they use VoIP and the quality is pretty good actually).

Other than that, you can always use Skype at internet cafes which have it. It currently costs about 28 US cents to call a Danish mobile phone through Skype.

#4 Lother has been a member since 12/5/2006. Location: Earth. Posts: 214
 Send Lother a private message 

Posted by SimonD on 5/2/2009 at 16:51

Ah, cool :) Thanks guys!

Is computer caf├ęs with Skype a common sight in the region?

#5 SimonD has been a member since 4/2/2009. Posts: 8

Posted by TheGoose on 5/2/2009 at 18:46

Can anybody recommend a decent/cheap network provider for Vietnam?

#6 TheGoose has been a member since 30/1/2009. Posts: 29

Posted by mattocmd on 6/2/2009 at 19:34

SKYPE!!!!!!!!

Most in the internet cafes have it. Get your woman to get skype as well and its all free. And yes, it's very common.

Sometimes connection speeds suck causing skype to suck though.

#7 mattocmd has been a member since 13/6/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 365
 Send mattocmd a private message 

Posted by brucemoon on 23/2/2009 at 08:21

TheGoose

I found that because the government has mainly invested in mobile technology, it uses resellers for sim cards.

And, there's not a lot of diference in the resellers prices: compared to wealthy nations calls are CHEAP!

#8 brucemoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by neosho on 8/10/2009 at 10:30

I just bought a calling card from CAT in Thailand. Costs me about 3 cents a minute to call the US. I use my Thai phone. Yes , I do have to dial a lot of numbers to do it but the connection is good and it's the cheapest way I have found so far. I am sure it also uses up the time on my DTAC connection but still far cheaper than the west.

#9 neosho has been a member since 13/8/2008. Posts: 386

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.