Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

(Another!) China + SE Asia budget (3 1/2 months)

Posted by jonnyrtw on 7/4/2009 at 20:06

I'm trying to work out a rough costing for the 1st leg of my RTW trip. Hopefully what I have put is ok, but I would appreciate some pointers and maybe a kick up the bum if you think I'm in dreamland!

Cost per day covers accomodation + food + hopefuly some left over for activities (except China where I understand sights to be a little more expensive). Transport costs across the regions are additional!

The guides I have given only include the major places I am visiting, but hopefully gives you a rough picture of my route!

The estimate is for one person, backpacking, but hopefully their will be two of us (girlfriend issues!) and hence double the budget.

China; 5 weeks (Beijing-Shanghai-HK-Yangshuo-Chongquiing-Xi'an-Chengdu-Zhongdian-Kunming-Laos); £20($30)/day

Laos; 2 weeks (Phongsali-Muang Xa-Luangprabang-Vangvieng-Vientiane-Vietnam); £10 ($15)/day

Vietnam; 2 weeks (Hanoi-Hue-Kon Tum-Nha Trang-HCMC-Cambodia); £15 ($22)/day

Cambodia; 1 week (Phnom Penh-Siemreap-Thailand); £10 ($15)/day

Thailand; 3 weeks (Bangkok-Prachaup Khiri Khan-Surat Thani-Krabi-Trang-Hat Yai-Malaysia); £10 ($15)/day!

Malaysia; 1 week (Butterworth-Kuala Lumpur-Malacca-Singapore); £15 ($22)/day!

Singapore; 2 days £20 ($30)/day

This brings the total to £1500/$2200. For 3months 17 days.

With transport and visas I am expecting this to rise to around £2000/$3000. If you guys suggest it will be way over 2k then I am going to have to have a rethink! I know it's a little tight, but do you think it's possible - and more importantly (!?) will I have fun on this budget!!?

One final question, should Xi'an be included between Beijing and Shaghai, or after HK when I am travelling around Chongqing + the SW. All the maps I have put Xi'an in different places!!

Interested to hear everyones thoughts! Sorry for the long post,

Leeds, England!

#1 jonnyrtw has been a member since 7/4/2009. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.