Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

best way to carry money?

Posted by JamesHamblin on 9/4/2009 at 21:14

im travelling through thailand, vietnam, laos and cambodia. what would be the best way to take my money? im out there for 34 days and have just over £500. is it possible for me?

#1 JamesHamblin has been a member since 7/4/2009. Posts: 14

Posted by TheGoose on 9/4/2009 at 21:42

500 quid!!!!!

That would be very, very tight if you're travelling on your own (no one to share expenses like rooms with!). Gives you a budget of around 14 quid a day, which you could get by on if you didn't have to fork out on transport and visas on top. I'd save a bit more if I were you mate. I'm travelling round on a budget of 20 quid a day at the moment and that is much more comfortable (though still have to watch the pennies and stay in the cheapest guesthouses) and allows for transport, visas, trips etc.

Best way of carrying money I find is bring a bit of cash with you (bus from airport to pay for etc) and just use your bank card out here. There are ATM's everywhere and changing travellers cheques are hassle.

#2 TheGoose has been a member since 30/1/2009. Posts: 29

Posted by somtam2000 on 11/4/2009 at 07:48 admin

Story full of suggestions on how to manage your money:

I'd say 15 quid a day is doable -- not too luxurious though -- and watch how many BeerLao you drink!

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,643
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.