Photo: Time for some larger notes we reckon.

Finance and money forum

Budget Help for Five weeks in Thailand.

Posted by lm_w on 8/6/2009 at 22:25

Does anyone have any idea of how much we would need per day in Thailand just so we can come up with a budget??

Thanks in advance !

#1 lm_w has been a member since 7/6/2009. Posts: 11

Posted by somtam2000 on 9/6/2009 at 07:02 admin

A typical budget traveller's budget in Thailand is around US$20 a day. You can get by on less or a lot more, but for $20 you'll get a decent room and three meals, with some left over for transport. If you are planning on travelling a lot then $20 probably will not cut it as the cost of transportation will push it up. Likewise, if you going to very few places, then you can get away with less.

Also if you're spending a lot of time in the big tourist centres (where everything is more expensive) then you'll spend more.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,643
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by lm_w on 9/6/2009 at 16:38

Ok thanks for the advice,

I have 1500 euro for five weeks so that should be plenty!

#3 lm_w has been a member since 7/6/2009. Posts: 11

Posted by c1ee on 14/6/2009 at 15:56

Is it the same for Laos and Vietnam? How about Malaysia? I heard it's more expensive than the other countries, but a Malaysian friend of mine has made me eager to travel there too.

#4 c1ee has been a member since 13/5/2009. Posts: 15

Posted by MADMAC on 7/7/2009 at 18:36

Budget starts like planning your trip... fist you have to decide what you are going to do.

As Somtam indicated here, 20 dollars a day will get you some food and a place to sleep. It won't be dining at the Ritz and sleeping at a five star hotel. It will be low end in both cases - but usually not filthy and usually the food will be OK.

After that there's the question of what you are doing during the day? Just walking around and doing nothing? Go swimming at a pool - costs money. Go visiting a national park? Costs money. Go to a museum? Costs money. Go to a bar and enjoy a band and some beer? Costs money. Fall for a hot Thai woman? Costs a LOT of money (everything being relative of course). You got the idea. You can get by on very little money, but once you start doing anything, that will break the budget. Most men don't come here to be celibate, and sex isn't free here like back home. Most people who come here want to atually do things, and most of those things cost money. So keep that in mind in your planning.

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.